Verizon DSL + Linksys = not working

legcramp

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, well my cousin finally jumped off the dial up band wagon, and we are having trouble setting up so it can be used on a router.

The router is a linksys WRT54G.

Anyways, things I know while I was there for FIVE HOURS.

He needs to login to verizon one time to get the internet going. So I am guessing it is using PPPOE?

Second of all, it works great without the router.
The modem I think was a Westell modem, a black one.. forgot the modem.. dang it.

Anyways, I cannot get it working for the life of me. I wasted a whole day and varely got any progress... period.

Can someone show me step by step in detailed how to get this thing running on the router? Thanks

aZn_plyR said:
Hey guys, well my cousin finally jumped off the dial up band wagon, and we are having trouble setting up so it can be used on a router.

The router is a linksys WRT54G.

Anyways, things I know while I was there for FIVE HOURS.

He needs to login to verizon one time to get the internet going. So I am guessing it is using PPPOE?

Second of all, it works great without the router.
The modem I think was a Westell modem, a black one.. forgot the modem.. dang it.

Anyways, I cannot get it working for the life of me. I wasted a whole day and varely got any progress... period.

Can someone show me step by step in detailed how to get this thing running on the router? Thanks

Ok, first of all, are you on the east coast or west? If you're west, then it's DHCP, no u/p needed.

Second....it's a 6100. You need to set it to bridge mode. If I recall correctly, log into the modem (u/p should be admin/password, if not, try admin/admin), go to vc config, set it to bridge. turn dhcp server off. should be good to go, plug in router, should work.

(yes I used to do vz dsl tech support)

ninja: I forgot to mention, if youve logged in once with the 6100 NOT set to bridge, then the ERX router has picked up the MAC of the westell and you either need to wait a while for it to flush that MAC address, or log back in using the westell and "ipconfig /release". unplug the phone line, log into it, set to bridge, plug in linksys, replug phone line, bam.

Home routers are typically 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1

Back