USMT Problem

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
i have a laptop that i want to test an unattended installation on. i ran the usmt on it and got the error while running scanstate.exe:

"scanstate.exe failed. see log file for deatails.

Im not sure where the log file is and im pretty sure my syntax is correct:

C:\SCANSTATE.EXE \\SILVERA-HROOM\USMT

silvera-hroom is the name of the server (tried it with win2k adv server and with xp pro and got the same error.) any help will be appreciated.

also, how would u format a hdd using an answer file made from setupmgr.exe i read about it somewhwere but forgot where i saw it at.

thanks

S1nF1xx said:
No offence, but you're an MCP and you couldn't find this? Here is the document from technet, it should be all you need.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/mgrtfset.mspx

People that usually say no offense usually are trying to offend....but anyways

the link u posted was for using FAST (Files and setting transfer wizard). my problem was using USMT (User state migration tool). if you had taken 2 seconds to read the post, and the link, u woulda noticed that. USMT not only transfers files and settings, but users as well. FAST is a GUI and USMT is a CLI feature which uses scanstate.exe as well as loadstate.exe, with scanstate.exe being the program im having problem with.

USMT according to MS

USMT transfer the following:
IE settings, Outlook settings,dial up connections, phone and modem options, accessibility, classic desktop screen saver selection, fonts, folder options, taskbar settings, mouse and keyboard settings, sound settigs, regional options, Office settings, network drives and printers, desktop folder, my documents, my pictures, favorites, cookies, and common Office file types.

USMT is also scriptable and can be used with INF files, which makes it a lot more configurable than FAST

Back