• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Using winter to my advantage

nuggetz

n00b
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
54
Sup fools, I'm still running on stock cooling and I'm able to bump my 3500 to just short of 2.4Ghz. What I have been doing lately is keeping the window in my room open. Here in Chicago, its been around 10 degrees and doing this is keeping my rig nice and cool. I managed to get it down to around 20deg celcius one night. Anyway, say I rigged up something to pull cold air from outside into the case, would that cause a problem? Could condensation form in the case and screw me? So far, I havent had any problems with leaving the PC next to an open window, but I dont want to freeze my ass off in the process. Actually, my room is really warm so it's not that bad. I was just wondering if anyone else here has tried harnessing the power of mother nature to cool their rigs in the winter.

Later
 
nuggetz said:
Sup fools, I'm still running on stock cooling and I'm able to bump my 3500 to just short of 2.4Ghz. What I have been doing lately is keeping the window in my room open. Here in Chicago, its been around 10 degrees and doing this is keeping my rig nice and cool. I managed to get it down to around 20deg celcius one night. Anyway, say I rigged up something to pull cold air from outside into the case, would that cause a problem? Could condensation form in the case and screw me? So far, I havent had any problems with leaving the PC next to an open window, but I dont want to freeze my ass off in the process. Actually, my room is really warm so it's not that bad. I was just wondering if anyone else here has tried harnessing the power of mother nature to cool their rigs in the winter.

Later

It should be fine. Condensation only occures when the surrouding air is hotter than the component. All of your computer parts are going to be much hotter than the surounding air so if anything the air would wick moisture away from them. In other words you should be fine.
 
yea i think we all take advantage of this awsome cool air outside, isnt' it lovely? :cool:
 
Kewl, so I was thinking of rigging up something that is the width of the window, cutting a hole into it, and attaching a tube with a fan inside of it. I could place the other end of this flexible tube at the intake fans of my case and chill the crap out of my PC. I just need to figure out how to mod a case fan or two to fit inside some large flexible tube (something like a shopvac tube) and get power to it somehow.
 
Get flexible dryer duct from a hardware store. It's the aluminum stuff. Cheap, very flexy, and shiny :D
 
Yeah, that sounds good. That stuff should work like a charm. Now, I would prolly need a fan or two inside the thing to draw the air in.
 
Back
Top