Using two pair cat5e cable with a gigabit switch ???

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a little problem in my kitchen I have only one cat5e drop which I use for my phone. My house is fully cat5e prewired. Problem is when I bring laptop from work (no wi-fi) a) I have to move phone base to another location and b) run to the distribution box in the basement to swap cables. After I’m done working I have to do the same again :rolleyes: On top of that all 4 ports on my router are used.

To fix this little problem I thought of using cat5e drop in my kitchen for both 100mb network/phone. As per this instruction

Since this should work fine with 100mb switch/router, would gigabit switch detect 2 pair connection (as per above wiring) and switch to 100mb link? :confused:

Currently I’m looking at D-Link DGS-1008D (8 port gigabit switch)

Thoughts/different ideas? :confused:

yes it will work fine, ive had to do that tons of time to add a second wireless ap or something. should be fine, i usually use 3 pairs if only 1 phone line just for the hell of it

yes it will work fine, ive had to do that tons of time to add a second wireless ap or something. should be fine, i usually use 3 pairs if only 1 phone line just for the hell of it

Are you 100% sure D-Link DGS-1008D (8 port gigabit switch) will work on 2 pair cat5e in 100mb sync with my laptop?

I'm sorry for asking but I don't want to lose 15% restocking fee on D-Link DGS-1008D switch if that won't work ;)

Do you have a 3 pair wiring? I'm a total network noobie :rolleyes:

If there is no real 3 pair vs 2 pair wiring advantage (and both should work) perhaps I shoud do 2 pair, in case I will ever need 2 100mb drops in my kitchen...

Bit Thanks !!! :D

i have been using some of the cheap d-link units, work great.

cat5 - 4 pairs - orange / green / blue / brown

so what i was saying is some times when I have to split a single cat5 for phone and data, if they only use 1 phone line (1 pair), I will just punch down the remaining 3 into cat5 even though only need two.

thanks for the info Marley1.... I'll buy d-link and use 3 pairs (less work :))

Back