Using Google To View Restricted Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
Can’t access the [H] from work because of filters? How about using Google to get around your school / work filter? While most of you know of at least a couple of these tricks, there are enough of you out there that probably don’t, making it worth a mention.

While the use of proxy servers to block unwanted sites may be understandable in commercial cases, there are also companies that are overdoing it, banning almost all websites and creating a lot of inconvenience to their employees.

That might explain why Google is blocked on our work network :)

Crosshairs said:
While the use of proxy servers to block unwanted sites may be understandable in commercial cases, there are also companies that are overdoing it, banning almost all websites and creating a lot of inconvenience to their employees.

Wait, you mean my company actually wants me to earn my paycheck?? Those bastards! It is my God given right as an American to spend half my day surfing the web at work!

OH MAN! It just hit me, although I have yet to read the article, if it talks about ways to use google to get around your network's filter (which is a must read for me since I tune the filter at work), then would this thread reall violate or heavily tread the line on one of the forum's rules

LOL

funny :)

bigstusexy said:
OH MAN! It just hit me, although I have yet to read the article, if it talks about ways to use google to get around your network's filter (which is a must read for me since I tune the filter at work), then would this thread reall violate or heavily tread the line on one of the forum's rules

LOL

funny :)
You beat me to it... :)

Just block google mobile and translate. You could also block cache, but I wouldn't.

For me Dew I had work at a school district so all of its gotta go, I've never had a reason to be interested in google moble so I forgot about it and never knew what all it could do. Our filter didn't know about it but now it does. :)

I'm the system administrator for a small/medium size company and this doesn't work on my network. The rules I use are "If URL contains KEYWORD than block access" so

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=www.myspace.com

contains myspace.com which is the keyword and access is blocked. There ARE options in my proxy server to just check the server name, which would be google.com and if that was used then access would be granted but it's better to check the entire url for instances of the keywords/domains you want to block :)

It gives me a warm fuzzy that people are so helpful on the Intarweb. :mad:

I run the filtering system at work. Two more filters added.

[sarcasm]
I'd much rather spend my time working to get people fired for violating comapny policy, than leaving them happily employed for years because I've kept them from being able to violate policy with my Internet filters.

Its a lot more fun than doing real technical work!

Prior to this article, if they were using this technique, they would only have been at risk if they did it in front of the wrong person at the wrong time. Now, I might get tasked with hunting them down and end up removing gainful employement from someone with kids! Awesome!
[/sarcasm]

How dare my employer think that they should have any control over what someone is doing with an Internet circuit they pay for, using equipment that they own. Power to the People!

Back