Using Gigaworks S750 with a console?

ultimus666

n00b
Joined
Jun 29, 2005
Messages
28
If I wanted to use these speakers with one of my consoles (mainly Xbox 360) what would I need to hook them up properly?


http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=113&product=9306

I have an adapter that connects the standard red-white to green-orange-black (sorry I'm a newb and not quite sure what the proper terms are) but would this relay the sound properly? Or do I need a decoder/receiver for best results?
 
Your best option for connection would be a Creative DDTS-100 module. It's an AV reciever that's made specifically for Creative systems, and it's around $145. I've got my Xbox 360 and PS3 plugged in via optical, and my laptop plugged in via 4-plug speaker cable from a X-fi notebook card. Works like a dream.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468

Hard part is, I haven't seen one being activly sold for almost 3 years now, so you might have to do some Google hunting for it.
 
Hmm, I was thinking about getting the DDTS-100. The only thing is that I know the product is a couple years old. Do products like this become outdated? I'm just trying to figure out what the "best" solution is. I don't know if things like decoders become obsolete as quickly as other things like video cards and processors. Sorry for sounding like such a newb, please bear with me.
 
I wouldn't worry about it being too outdated anytime soon. It's still the best reciever for the price, and it works wonders for my Xbox 360 and PS3; full DTS-ES and Dolby Digital EX support.

The only improvement IMO is a full-fledged HDMI 1.3 reciever with DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD, and those can range anywhere from $460 to $2000.
 
The DDTS-100 fetches $300+ on ebay; double its price. If you want surround sound (Dolby Digital) I'd suggest Logitech Z-5500s because they can accept digital inputs (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1210309&highlight=z-5500).

If you use the adapter mentioned by Cat1yst and direct connect your speakers to your xbox, you'll only get stereo sound (left and right speakers).

I own the S750s and a 360 and tried to use them with the Dolby Digital decoder on my X-Fi (only card on the market that does this), but it has issues (clipping at high volume, and you can't control the input volume).
 
Back
Top