Using different power adapters?

kpxgq

Limp Gawd
I have a collection of random wifi routers and various power adapters that came with them... most are 12v, 1amp... but some are 0.5a or 2a...

i found that that as long as the plug fits, that the router works fine even though its using different amps... my question is, is it safe to use a different amp adapter than what is factory rated?

If the adapter has a higher amperage rating than the device, you'll be fine. The device will only pull as many amps as it needs to. If the amperage is too low for the device, it may work, but expect wonky issues. One thing that does need to match is polarity and voltage within ~ 1-2 volts. The voltage can usually vary a littler bit as most electronics has a tolerance of about 10% build into them.

A device will only draw as much current as it needs. These power adapts won't constantly put our their current rating, they'll just [try] to maintain a constant voltage.

As mentioned above, as long as the adapter is capable of supplying the current. A power source does not "put out" a certain current, it only puts out voltage. The device will draw the current it needs based on the resistance and other factors. If the adapter cannot supply said current it will either act funny, not supply it at all or supply it but be running above spec and possibly overheat.

Polarity is something to watch for though. Check the diagram on the device and the adapter to make sure it matches. Should look like this:

800px-AC_adaptor_polarity.png

Back