Using both Spywareblaster and Spybot immunize.

oldtimers

n00b
I know using two firewalls is not the best thing to do but what about having spywareblaster, and also immunizing with spybot search and destroy ?

Is that compromising security or ok in that instance?

both spyware blaster and sbybot S&D immunize feature merely change settings (IE and firefox settings) to prevent things like tracking cookies and activeX scripting from certain domains.

As a result, there is no actual process running that hinders performance or connectivity the way running multiple TSR type security utilities (firewall/AV) would have. They simply used a compiled blacklisting to configure your browser settings, nothing more.

Now, spybot's other things like teatimer are a different story, but that is not part of its immunize utility.

Using both is a good idea, because you get protection form one that the other may have mised or hasn't included in an update yet.

Not sure if either support opera, however, but IE is really the one these help alot, since they add to your restricted sites list and thus prevent access those sites have to IE (provided you're using at least the default security setting for the restricted sites zone in IE).

I just use my leet router as a firewall since its better than any software firewall out there. My friends use Zone Alarm.

I have Spybot as part of my normal installs on machines for clients. I always update and immunize each time I sit down in front of one...as mentioned above, it's just some settings in IE, and mostly blacklisting, so it's not bogging down the performance of the PC at all. It's totally not even related to a firewall or anything..router or software firewall..we're talking apples and oranges here....it's just stopping some bad sites from appearing..and potentially installing junk.

SpywareBlaster is another good one...I don't use it all the time, but on people I know who have bad surfing habits..I often throw it on for them.

I use these two programs on my system and they keep my computer sqeaky clean. I dont use any software firewalls or anything. Just isnt necessary.

i raelly like spysweeper, i use it with Ad-aware and Spybot along with Nod32

-(Xyphox)- said:
i raelly like spysweeper, i use it with Ad-aware and Spybot along with Nod32

Ditto, minus Nod. For AV I'm using work supplied Norton.

I always run Spybots immunize and Spyware Blaster together on all the systems I mess with ... as well as Firefox with the adblock and adblock updater and IE tab extensions and make firefox the default browser.

-(Xyphox)- said:
i use it with Ad-aware

Keep in mind a while back Ad-aware got sued for including Gator products in their defs... Lavasoft eventually pulled the listing.

Personally I feel I can no longer trust Ad-aware because of this.

Back