• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Using ATITool + Prime95 for Full Load Temp. Testing

[CoF] ATOMIC

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
118
Greetings!

Since I recently replaced all my Coolermaster case fans with Antec fans (which offer more CFM at the cost of dBA) I have decied to run some temperature/wattage tests with our favourite tools of the trade: Prime95 and ATITool. Essentially, I wanted to see if the newly replaced fans added any sort of lowered-temperature-benefit or not. That and I wanted to get the general idea of how much wattage was being used during the full load test, which was achieved by using APC UPS PowerChute Personal Edition.

Last but not least, I have made slight modifications to my Lian-Li V2100b case. Simply put, I added an intake fan over the CPU/RAM region and an exhaust fan for the 7800GTXs to collect all the heat that those two bad boys produce. To finish off the mod, I added some fancy grills which I got from bigfootcomputers.com. The idea behind the grills was to make the intake/exhaust fans that much more stealthy lookin.

After doing all my best to tidy up the wire disaster I had in this case, I sat down and counted how much more CFM all those added fans gave me. So i turns out that:

15.9 x 2 = 31.8 (VGA Cooler)
34.0 x 2 = 68.0 (80mm)
79.0 x 6 = 474 (120mm)
114 x 1 = 114 (CPU Fan)

= TOTAL of 687.8CFM.

Which is a lil EXCESSIVE :eek: , but I love going overboard at the cost of having a jet engine sound 24/7 coming from your Lian-Li case. ;)
Just kidding, it's not that bad. Not as bad as the 8000RPM delta I had on my AhtlonXP in the other rig. That thing was ridiculous. :eek:

But anyways, now for some pics:

exterior.jpg

interior.jpg

interior_led.jpg

interior_close.jpg

stresstest.jpg




So what do you guys think? Decent temperatures or do I still need some serious cable managment classes?

How about your CFM total amount in your rig? Is it anywhere near as high as mine or am I just one crazy bastard?

So why would anyone want soo much airflow?
Well obviously to O/C this slut to unprecedented heights if the proc/RAM allows it. Something tells met that this will not be the case but it's worth a try.
I mean, I've spent so much time on getting so much air flowing in this case I might as well give er tits ;) 2.6GHz anyone, or highly unlikely?
 
I used to have silly CFM in my P-180 but I tamed myself down a bit I couldn't take the noise of the twin Delta 120mm SHE's (152CFM)
the P-180 is somewhere around 400CFM
the Thermaltake is around 450CFM.
 
SKy042 said:
I used to have silly CFM in my P-180 but I tamed myself down a bit I couldn't take the noise of the twin Delta 120mm SHE's (152CFM)
the P-180 is somewhere around 400CFM
the Thermaltake is around 450CFM.

That's just not right! ;) Amost unholy to say the least.

And this onee is for ryuji. Yeah man I tried having the HDDs in my case face the other way so as to hide all those SATA/power connectors but it's just ain't happening. Them connectors
would stick out way too far and hence the side panel door would not close :(

Plus, having an inverted case design, that mounts the mobo upside down is more tricky to hide wires than the regular setup. I dunno could just be me that I'm such a n00b when it comes to cables.
 
that a bit overkill on the fans and your tempeartures arent that impressive

In my lian li i have 4 x 80mm fans 20cfm@20dba each and 92mm 42cfm@20dba and my case is very quiet not silent but very quiet. my processor never sees over 45C load even with dual instances of prime 95. When i switch the 80mm fans to 39cfm@34dba my machine gets loud and temps drop a degree or so so it not worth it ;) But if u can stand the noise then ignore what i said ;)
 
Volkswagen said:
that a bit overkill on the fans and your tempeartures arent that impressive

In my lian li i have 4 x 80mm fans 20cfm@20dba each and 92mm 42cfm@20dba and my case is very quiet not silent but very quiet. my processor never sees over 45C load even with dual instances of prime 95. When i switch the 80mm fans to 39cfm@34dba my machine gets loud and temps drop a degree or so so it not worth it ;) But if u can stand the noise then ignore what i said ;)

Yeah, but what can you do.

Um, I've read mixed reviews somewhere that the Swiftek heatsink does or does not like to be paired up with the 80mm to 120mm adapter? Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe that would explain the slightly higher than expected temps? I should take my 80mm to 120mm adapter of and see how that would alter the temps.
 
Once you have decent airflow adding more fans wont do squat for O/Cing ability. 1 high quality heatsink will do more for you than 100 case fans.

If you want serious Ocing ability step up to water. Its not a big leap.
 
You can always used F@H as a stress test too at 100% for a day or two, you will see if the system is really rock solid!
 
[CoF] ATOMIC said:
That's just not right! ;) Amost unholy to say the least.

And this onee is for ryuji. Yeah man I tried having the HDDs in my case face the other way so as to hide all those SATA/power connectors but it's just ain't happening. Them connectors
would stick out way too far and hence the side panel door would not close :(


Plus, having an inverted case design, that mounts the mobo upside down is more tricky to hide wires than the regular setup. I dunno could just be me that I'm such a n00b when it comes to cables.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=3556

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164&products_id=1220
;) :D


upside down isnt too tricky.. you just need to make a hole to run the sata wires under the mobo
 
[CoF] ATOMIC said:
Greetings!

Since I recently replaced all my Coolermaster case fans with Antec fans (which offer more CFM at the cost of dBA) I have decied to run some temperature/wattage tests with our favourite tools of the trade: Prime95 and ATITool. Essentially, I wanted to see if the newly replaced fans added any sort of lowered-temperature-benefit or not. That and I wanted to get the general idea of how much wattage was being used during the full load test, which was achieved by using APC UPS PowerChute Personal Edition.

Last but not least, I have made slight modifications to my Lian-Li V2100b case. Simply put, I added an intake fan over the CPU/RAM region and an exhaust fan for the 7800GTXs to collect all the heat that those two bad boys produce. To finish off the mod, I added some fancy grills which I got from bigfootcomputers.com. The idea behind the grills was to make the intake/exhaust fans that much more stealthy lookin.

After doing all my best to tidy up the wire disaster I had in this case, I sat down and counted how much more CFM all those added fans gave me. So i turns out that:

15.9 x 2 = 31.8 (VGA Cooler)
34.0 x 2 = 68.0 (80mm)
79.0 x 6 = 474 (120mm)
114 x 1 = 114 (CPU Fan)

= TOTAL of 687.8CFM.

Which is a lil EXCESSIVE :eek: , but I love going overboard at the cost of having a jet engine sound 24/7 coming from your Lian-Li case. ;)
Just kidding, it's not that bad. Not as bad as the 8000RPM delta I had on my AhtlonXP in the other rig. That thing was ridiculous. :eek:

But anyways, now for some pics:

exterior.jpg

interior.jpg

interior_led.jpg

interior_close.jpg

stresstest.jpg




So what do you guys think? Decent temperatures or do I still need some serious cable managment classes?

How about your CFM total amount in your rig? Is it anywhere near as high as mine or am I just one crazy bastard?

So why would anyone want soo much airflow?
Well obviously to O/C this slut to unprecedented heights if the proc/RAM allows it. Something tells met that this will not be the case but it's worth a try.
I mean, I've spent so much time on getting so much air flowing in this case I might as well give er tits ;) 2.6GHz anyone, or highly unlikely?

You need to set both of the ati tools to artifact testing or the one in the background won't do anything (hence the low temp of gpu2). That should give a more accurate test of your power/cooling on everything.
 
bobzdar said:
You need to set both of the ati tools to artifact testing or the one in the background won't do anything (hence the low temp of gpu2). That should give a more accurate test of your power/cooling on everything.
dont quote the whole thing... its still the same page :rolleyes: at least remove the images
 
bobzdar said:
You need to set both of the ati tools to artifact testing or the one in the background won't do anything (hence the low temp of gpu2). That should give a more accurate test of your power/cooling on everything.

Way to quote the whole thread :p

next time break the image tags.
 
Running Prime95 for 5 minutes is not load testing.

Are those two 120mm's on the side door blowing air out? That seems silly as they are right next to your CPU Heatsink blowing air down. Pretty conterproductive :rolleyes:

And all those lights? Do you ever see those lights?

In my system, I have 1x 120mm on my big typhoon, stock cooler on my heatsink, chipset, and PSU. That is it for me. I love the quietness.
 
MikeP said:
Once you have decent airflow adding more fans wont do squat for O/Cing ability. 1 high quality heatsink will do more for you than 100 case fans.

If you want serious Ocing ability step up to water. Its not a big leap.

Fair enough. I was looking into H20 all in one kit but a friend of mine told me it's best when you buy all the watercooling parts seperately that way you have more control over what you really want out of your watercooling setup. I think I need to be pointed in the right direction in terms of gettin the top of the line watercooling solution.


And in terms of heatsinks, are you implying that my Swiftek is not the best choice when it comes to O/Cing?
 
bobzdar said:
You need to set both of the ati tools to artifact testing or the one in the background won't do anything (hence the low temp of gpu2). That should give a more accurate test of your power/cooling on everything.

bobzdar! Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even know that the Scan for Artifacts button would take the 2nd GPU into consideration and hence give me more accurate results.

Cheers.
 
Starfox said:
Running Prime95 for 5 minutes is not load testing.

Are those two 120mm's on the side door blowing air out? That seems silly as they are right next to your CPU Heatsink blowing air down. Pretty conterproductive :rolleyes:

And all those lights? Do you ever see those lights?

No doubt. I just ran the first test for 5minutes and then the other one for a lil but longer just to see some rough numbers. Nothing more. I'll have to take the time to perform further more in-depth tests.

As far as the fan orientation:
The lower 120mm on the side panel there is the intake for the CPU/RAM.
The higher 120mm, right above the other one is the exhaust which collects the air blown off of the Antec VGA coolers.

And as far as lights go - I totally understand your point. However, the neat blue glow eminating from the case (front,side and back) is quite the sight my friend. I'll have to take some pics to show you how it lights up the room.
 
Volkswagen said:
that a bit overkill on the fans and your tempeartures arent that impressive

In my lian li i have 4 x 80mm fans 20cfm@20dba each and 92mm 42cfm@20dba and my case is very quiet not silent but very quiet. my processor never sees over 45C load even with dual instances of prime 95. When i switch the 80mm fans to 39cfm@34dba my machine gets loud and temps drop a degree or so so it not worth it ;) But if u can stand the noise then ignore what i said ;)

Well in the case of my Thermtaltake my idle temp on my X2 is 26C and 100% load (30 mins dual stress prime is around 36C
 
SKy042 said:
Well in the case of my Thermtaltake my idle temp on my X2 is 26C and 100% load (30 mins dual stress prime is around 36C

Well spank my ass and call me susan. That is one fantastic temperature level.
Would you mind spilling the beans on how you achieved that? Possibly post pics of the internal wiring/setup on your rig? :D
 
So...Why do you have sd4hide and NFS:MW? Now all you need to create the kill combo is something like Daemon Tools.
 
[CoF] ATOMIC said:
Well spank my ass and call me susan. That is one fantastic temperature level.
Would you mind spilling the beans on how you achieved that? Possibly post pics of the internal wiring/setup on your rig? :D
400+CFM of case airflow
a 120mm 115CFM fan right behind my CPU
1.25Vcore
beyond that not sure.
the TT Armor especially with 2 I Cages in it moves a LOT of air through it. Nothing has a chance to get hot.
The room the PC is in averages about 60-65F ambient temp.
I don't have a current pic. This is what it looked like before I changed the PSU and cleaned up the wiring a tad more
http://ls1archive.com/hard/DSC01690.jpg
 
Back
Top