Using a different modem than the one my ISP provided (DSL)

ManCannon

2[H]4U
I'm trying to use a different modem than the one my ISP provided (a D-Link and Visionnet respectively) and I can't seem to get it to work. I've tried setting it to PPPoA, PPPoE, and Bridged mode and none of them work.

According to my ISP I have a "dynamic connection" that doesn't require a username or password, yet the PPPoE and PPPoA modes ask for a username and password. I figured Bridged mode would be my best bet then, but that didn't work either.

If I plug in the modem they provided me it works instantly, I don't even have to go into the settings or enter any kind of information, I just hook up the wires and it works right away. So why can't I get the D-Link working?

Right now I'm just trying to get the modem itself working, but in the end I want it hooked to my WRT54G.

They have to provision the modem to work on their network. Call them up, tell them you have a new modem and they'll ask for some information about it. Once they have that, they can hit it and it'll work.

I figured Bridged mode would be my best bet then, but that didn't work either.

Just an FYI, bridge mode is for when you have your modem connected to another device that is capable of dialing out using PPPoE. Such as a hardware firewall.

i had a problem with setting PPPoE or PPPoA when i bridged my new router to my old DSL modem, it just wouldn't work, turns out i had to just set it to DHCP and it pulled an IP just fine.

They have to provision the modem to work on their network. Call them up, tell them you have a new modem and they'll ask for some information about it. Once they have that, they can hit it and it'll work.

That's for cable internet. I've yet to come across a DSL ISP that has to do anything to the modem you obtain on your own.

OP...you need to know what your ISP requires for authentication. Either they require PPPoE, or they require PPPoA (not as common in the US), or they allow you to just run pure ATM DHCP (a small handful of specialized smaller DSL ISPs do this, usually just for business accounts). It's not a guessing game, they are one, or the other, or the other.

That's for cable internet. I've yet to come across a DSL ISP that has to do anything to the modem you obtain on your own.

OP...you need to know what your ISP requires for authentication. Either they require PPPoE, or they require PPPoA (not as common in the US), or they allow you to just run pure ATM DHCP (a small handful of specialized smaller DSL ISPs do this, usually just for business accounts). It's not a guessing game, they are one, or the other, or the other.

whoops, I don't know why I didn't see DSL in there.

Check your VCI/VPI settings...should simply be two numbers, but they have to be right or it will not sync up correctly.

Each provider uses a different setting.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1149

Easiest is to find it on the old modem and use it on the new one. Note that you might not see it in the Webgui on the old one, might have to telnet in to see it.

hmmmm, smaller DSL ISP's allow pure ATM DHCP, well thats the only way i can get DSL signal in my house and i have verizon. Should i be checking out the config then to make sure i'm messing up somethign LOL.

Many DSL ISPs of all sizes are DHCP now. Makes life easier for them and there really is no reason for authentication as it is only on your line directly into your house. The other reasons for authentication are mostly old and not really necessary.

Embarq (sprint) for example used to be PPPoE, but then moved to DHCP where the modems dont need any login credentials and just pull an IP like a client does on a local network. Works great and is so much easier.

Do note that sometimes the DHCP servers are not that nice about giving out the leases. Embarq for example can take a few hours to give a lease to a new device (MAC address) if you did not release it from the old device properly first.

Thanks for the help, guys.

In the end I set the modem to Bridge mode and the WRT54G to DHCP and all is working well and my end goal of eliminating the issues I was experiencing with the ISP provided modem have has been met.

Score!

Back