Using a 3com 3300 Switch

Grimmda

2[H]4U
So I'm at my desk. I have 2 lines (100MB Cat 5) comming into it and I can plug them into PC's and they get an IP fine via dhcp.

I have a little 5 port auto-sensing switch that I can plug in one of those 2 lines into it and gives me 4 more ports to plug other PC's into just fine.

WELL I need more ports! We have an old 3com 3300XM Switch and I've reset it to factory defaults and updated the firmware or whatever you want to call it.

My networking knowledge sucks with "managed switches" like this one but I'm connected to it via the serial console, I just don't know what I need to tweak on it to make it work.

When I plug one of the 2 lines into it as an "uplink" the port doesn't light up like it has an active line. And when I plug in one of my PC's to it it can't grab an IP because the switch obviously isn't correctly working as there's some sort of something I need to do to make it work. I've made all the ports on the then enabled. I've made them 100full but my deal is how to I enable one to be the "uplink" port of sorts. The XM model that it is doesn't specifically have an "uplink" port it just has 24 ports on the front.

We use Cisco Vlans here if that makes a difference and apparently I was told by somewhat of a network dude that I'm on vlan 300. I just want more ports to be able to build XP images with and the networking guys are making my life hard by not helping me do my job. Any ideas?

uplink ports are used to connect switches together with straight through cables. If you need to connect two switches together and you dont have uplink ports, simply use a crossover cable between them.

As the previous poster said you just need a crossover cable. There's nothing in the config that you need to tweak to make it work.

Nice switch BTW.

Back