Use a Widescreen LCD?

mikesroth

n00b
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
21
I'm looking to switch over to a LCD monitor. I have been going back and forth on getting a 19", or possible a 20" widescreen. After seeing a few comments on video cards, and I wondering if my current card would be able to handle the resoltion, or if this is a non-issue.

I currently have a 6600 GT in my machine, and mostly play games like WoW or Guild Wars. Do you think I should be ok, or should I just stick with the 19?


Thanks!
 
I think your card will work, however the 128 meg of ram on that card will hit a fill rate fast at a 20" wide resolution. If you did get a 19", it would be better. Is there any way you could upgrade your card aswell?

Edit. Maybe something like this card.6800XT
 
19" WIDESCREEN 1280x1024 RES U CAN RUN BOTH GAMES. lol sorry for caps

but yeah a 20" is 1600x1200 and chug a lug bro.
 
As another 6600GT user, I say if you want to get the most out of widescreen you will need a better card. When comes to higher res and having AA/AF on the 6600GT will have problems. So the 19 inch maybe better for you now, but if you plan upgrade in near future, get bigger monitor
 
Hmmm... thanks for the advice. I'd like to get a new card to, but..... My wife also plays those same games on her computer. (which is why I mainly only play them) The issues comes with if I upgrade my computer, I have to upgrade hers too... LOL So that means a simple $200 upgrade is $400... :) Not quite sure how I am getting the OK on the monitor, I think I am walking into a trap for something else that she wants to get down the road. :)

I was so happy with the 19" until we walked into OD to look and I saw the WS. :)

Is there a good comparison on the Midlevel cards stack up including the 6600GT? I just realized that one card that got listed is LESS than what I paid for the 6600gt a year ago. <sigh>
 
Actually that's not really a good upgrade option, sorry about that. It's about the same performance wise.video card comparison

You'll want something with 256 meg and 256 bit. Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top