USB vs PCI wireless adapter

I'm making the plunge to wireless now, since my laptop is already on it. That, and the PC will be about 30 feet from the router, in a different room, with a hallway between, and I don't feel like running that much cable across a ceiling. The roommates aren't feeling that idea...

My question is for the adapter. Are there any downsides to a USB adapter? Do they require more CPU cycles, do they run slower than PCI, or do they typically perform about the same?

Looking for any insight. Thanks.

usb 1.1 top bandwidth: 11Mbps

you are limited to that on any usb 1.x devices

PCI wireless-G is what I suggest, and I personally prefer D link.

Also the USB wireless adapters that ive tried are cheaply made and dinky.

USB 1.1 is 12 Mbps max actually. If you go G, then you could be hampered by a USB 1.1 bus is you are limited to that. As long as you have USB 2 ports on your pc then that is usually better choice than a PCI card, unless you have one with a pigtail to an antenna you can move around. It might not matter if your close enough and don't have any other interference/obstructions that would be a problem for you. If coverage is iffy then having a USB client device that you can move around will be a benefit. not to mention a PCI sits behind a metal/aluminum case. Not a good environment for a microwave link. If your going 802.11b then USB 1.1 will be fine. You'll only get 4-5 Mbps out of a 802.11b WLAN anyway, best case scenario. Nah, USB is fine. But if you prefer PCI then that may work fine for you as well, there just isn't any particular advantage to it. With the exception that your motherboard doesn't handle USB efficiently.

Back