USB v Soundblaster

ssratt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
280
OK these are VERY basic questions.. right now I am running an SBXFI in my system, and am looking at a new set of headphones (Current Zalman 5.1{3plug}-pretty good) and am wondering if I am right that going to USB will make the card useless, since my understanding is it will not be used.

If true, why would Creative (a) be selling a USB headset, (b) not have a USB interface on their new cards (still annoyed that I can't even use the front panel-for my 5.1 headphones, not sure why it is still installed)

ASSUMING the best bet is to still use the card/plugs my next steps will probably be the logitech Z cinema for desktop surround, and then some sort of a/b switch for the 5.1 headset I need to replace

The thought was the Z cinema for desktop, and a USB 5.1 just to do a straight plug in.

Price range $150-speakers/$50-70 for the headseat w mike + built in volume (both)
 
your system would still use the soundcard to process the sound it would just send the signal out via USB
 
If you're using usb, the soundcard is not utilized at all. Pure digital audio is output through the usb connection which is then converted to analog within the usb device itself. In other words, the usb device essentially becomes the "sound card"
 
well just to let you know you can use both.i use one sound card for headphones,and an audio input from my tv tuner.i use a x-fi card for everything else.i have had no issues doing this,and its as easy as going into sound properties to switch between the 2.
 
oh, good info.. i figured the sound signal had to be processed somewhere though...
 
yes, there is a chip somewhere in the usb headsets. it's basically a small usb soundcard inline your cable.
 
koolio!, who would of thought i could still learn something new after being on [H] this long!
 
Uh yeah but you really don't want to buy a usb headset. I don't know of a good one yet at least. Stick with a Koss Sb40 in your price range. Speakers? I dunno atm. Kind of reconsidering that.
 
Uh yeah but you really don't want to buy a usb headset. I don't know of a good one yet at least. Stick with a Koss Sb40 in your price range. Speakers? I dunno atm. Kind of reconsidering that.

Agreed. The Zalman is mostly a gimmick.
 
Back
Top