US$600 speaker recommendation?

Paperstar

n00b
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
51
I've saved up around 600 US dollars equivalent (I live in AUS) to get a good experience as far as speakers go for my computer and room, it's a modestly sized room.

I play games quite a bit, but it's mainly the movies and music that occupies my current speakers time. Right now I'm using the logitech z5500 and I just feel after three years or more years, they aren't what I want anymore.

I've been reading this forum quite a bit to get a more clearer understanding for the audio scene, but I thought I would ask a question or two as well.

What would you recommend me? I've ruled that I only want two speakers on my desk instead of a surround sound and I would love a subtle bass, the kind you feel in the back of your friends car while listening to boys II men or something silly, a nice soothing bass. Is it hard to replicate that kind of.. feeling? Haha such a hard thing to describe, but hopefully someone understands what I'm getting at.
 
$600 will get you a fair bit, would this include the amp with speakers or just the speakers by themselves?
 
To be quite honest--I don't know. I don't own an amp, but I have seen alot of people with amps; they're required for better quality sound?

If necessary, I can always put a bit more money away for a month or two and purchase an amp. I'd be willing to do that if it works out in the long run.
 
A line-level audio signal isn't strong enough to make anything go. There's got to be amplification for it somewhere...a typical sound card has enough for some headphones (but the amp quality is mediocre at best), and "powered" speakers have one built into the inside of the speaker. Beyond a certain minimum level, it becomes very uncommon to see powered speakers - the budget involved is more than sufficient to get a discrete amplifier and have control over the quality of that part of the system, so it would be a hard sell. At $600...there are a few powered speakers left, but you're mostly into speaker + amp territory.

I'm being a little vague about specific recommendations because I don't know what you have access to...:(
 
I was eyeing a pair of these speakers; http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A7/#anchor

It seems they have built in amps, is it correct to say they can power themselves? What about the addition of a sub-woofer suitable for my 6meter x 6meter room--does that require more than just a wire plugged into a sound card? Does the addition of an amp increase the unf behind the sound of the speakers naturally, that the built-in amp in the speakers are not good enough?

Ahh so many questions.
 
I have these: http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/m-audio-studiophile-av/4505-7869_7-32381162.html

Highly recommend them. They are well within your budget, but powered monitors seems to be what you should get for your budget.

I've had several different speakers for my computer and heard friends' "thx certifixed" klipsch ones and these M-Audio are much much better.

*edit* Don't let the 20 watts per speaker fool you, it can get very loud with punchy bass(already had a neighbor visit me).
 
Back
Top