UPnP Across Multiple Subnets

Hey guys,

I have been unable to find a solution for what I am trying to do.

Here is my setup -

Actiontec FIos Router
---------------------------------
Router IP 10.1.1.1
Eth01-Eth03 = 10.1.2.x
Eth04 Port 4= VLAN on 10.1.3.x

Asus RT-AC66U with DD-WRT

- Router is connected to Port 4 of Actiontec
- Static IP = 10.1.3.2
- Router is in AP mode

So basically the issue is that I have a media server in which I want to stream UPnP from a computer that is connected on Eth01-03 and I want any wireless devices that are connected to the ASUS AP (VLAN) to see the UpNp devices.

Do you guys have any suggestions or is it possible that this cannot be done?

Thanks

UPnP isn't meant to go across subnets, which is probably why you're having issues. There might be a way to Jerry-rig something together, I just haven't heard of it.

UPnP isn't meant to go across subnets, which is probably why you're having issues. There might be a way to Jerry-rig something together, I just haven't heard of it.

Is there nat between the two subnets, or just a firewall? Either way, I would maybe set the asus router up as a switch/ap & get rid of the double nat situation.

Any reason you're VLANing ETH4? Like Liger said, UPNP isn't designed to across subnets. It's a multicast protocol so it only talks to devices on it's network.

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Ultimately while I do think there has to be SOME way to do it with proxying, etc, it's just not worth the time in effort.

In the end, I decided to go with SAMBA for streaming. The router is great so no lag or anything like that so far!

Does the actiontech have some sort of iphelper protocal? I know I've configured Bonjour to broadcast across different vlans with iphelper, but that was on a sonicwall.

Back