upgrading SAV10 to SEP11

i jsut installed symantec endpoint 11 on SBS 2003 sp2.

the server currently has sav 10.1.4.4000

i tried to buy a upgrade license and they said that they couldn't basically becasue the sav was a boxed product. and short story long i was convinced to give sep11 a try.

anyways..

i uninstalled the "symantec system center" per the sep sbs best practices pdf i got from the symantec site.
i installed sep 11. it opened the "management server configuration wizard" i get to the end (after it asks for the admin password) and it says that it is already running and i need to stop the endpoint protection service (which doesn't show up in services) and IIS.

so i killed the IIS service (and pop / imap / stmp / ssl etc with it) and all of the symantec a/v things i could find.. and it still wouldn't let me continue.

the symantec e p management console shows up and appears to be working and running, of course i don't have a user / pass set and can't login.. but there is no service for it..

so i am confused, what am i missing? sav 10 is still running, but it is expired and nearing the end of the definitions "grace period"

I tried to migrate from 10 to 11 as well, long story short I run NOD32 business edition now.

I'm refusing to move customers from SAV10 to SEP11.

For the several customers that have needed renewals so far, I have gone ahead with paying for the renewal even though the new certificate says SEP11 on it. Then I've opened cases with Symantec support telling them we do not wish to uninstall SAV10 and move to SEP11. Too much labor and it's not necessary I tell them. I ask them to just e-mail me a new SLF license file so the customer can continue using SAV10.

They have done it for me several times now, sometimes I have to talk to them a few times to get them to do it though.

Last time, I just sent the request to [email protected] and attached the new certificate PDF. They responded quickly with the new license file attached and no problems.

If they stop supporting SAV10 and force us to go to SEP11 then we will change vendors. The SEP11 product is unacceptable from the huge negative feedback I've seen.

I'm no fan of the upgrade process, but it really isn't that bad if you actually read the install manual. It is different from previous versions and I've found that if you can put it on a different server you should (makes it much easier). Most of the feedback is probably negative because they made such drastic changes. After you get past the changes some of the new stuff is actually useful. I'm not a fan of the firewall or ids it comes with, but it is really easy to make a package that deploys all the clients without it.

I'm no fan of the upgrade process, but it really isn't that bad if you actually read the install manual. It is different from previous versions and I've found that if you can put it on a different server you should (makes it much easier). Most of the feedback is probably negative because they made such drastic changes. After you get past the changes some of the new stuff is actually useful. I'm not a fan of the firewall or ids it comes with, but it is really easy to make a package that deploys all the clients without it.

I just went through this and I considermy self an expert but I had to call Symantec because I kept getting syslog errors. We changed a permission on a reg key and all was well.
Install wasnt that bad. You also have to consider that most AV software is heavily integrated into the OS so upgrading can be time consuming.
In a server environment though you can never be too careful and make sure to have good backups in case shit hits the fan

Back