Hi all. New here. I have visited the forums a couple of times throughout the last couple of years, but I never actually registered until today.
I had to upgrade my GPU recently (about 1-2 months ago) cause my old one 'died'. I went from a 280GTX to a 480GTX. I was able to get another one for 'free' recently so I now have 2 EVGA 480 GTX in SLI (first time doing SLI).
These are the rest of my specs (they are kind of old since its a build from late 2007) ...
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850 @3.67 (stock is 3.0; I OC just a few weeks ago after I did the SLI)
Corsiar 4GB 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz (my current mobo doesnt support DDR3)
Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
CoolerMaster Haf-X (got it a few weeks ago as well)
I'm getting good peformance in most games (unless it's a poorly optimized game to begin with GTA4/BlackOps2/etc), but I'm sure I have a bit/huge? bottleneck cause of my old hardware. I'm definitely getting a new mobo/cpu/ram in the next few months cause I'm eager to see what the SLI setup can really do with newer hardware to match. I notice my card barely hit 50-60 usage in most games (like Crysis), but I'm not sure if it's the game, drivers or my old hardware (bottleneck). In BlackOps I'm getting 60-90+ fps in MP which is good, but GPU ussage is around 25-33. In SP it hits 25-30fps sometimes, but I'm pretty sure thats the game cause many ppl are having the same issues; the game is poorly optimized.
I was thinking of something like this ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3188069&cm_re=evga_x58-_-13-188-069-_-Product (EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-211-_-Product (Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=corsair_dominator-_-20-145-289-_-Product (CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C7)
First of all. What do you think of my current setup? Don't know much about bottlenecks, do I have a huge bottlneck in my system? Should I be getting alot more out of SLI setup with newer hardware?
Do you think I should take the plunge now or wait for the new "Sandy Bridge"? (I'm really itching to see what a newer cpu/mobo and faster DDR3 RAM and do) Is the i7 950 enought for those 2 cards in SLI? Would love a 980, but its just way to expensive IMO and most games dont even use the full power of 4 cores (so why bother with 6?) at the moment.
Thank you.
PS: I run all games at 1920x1200 (Native).
I had to upgrade my GPU recently (about 1-2 months ago) cause my old one 'died'. I went from a 280GTX to a 480GTX. I was able to get another one for 'free' recently so I now have 2 EVGA 480 GTX in SLI (first time doing SLI).
These are the rest of my specs (they are kind of old since its a build from late 2007) ...
EVGA 680i SLI mobo
Intel Core 2 Extreme Q6850 @3.67 (stock is 3.0; I OC just a few weeks ago after I did the SLI)
Corsiar 4GB 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz (my current mobo doesnt support DDR3)
Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
CoolerMaster Haf-X (got it a few weeks ago as well)
I'm getting good peformance in most games (unless it's a poorly optimized game to begin with GTA4/BlackOps2/etc), but I'm sure I have a bit/huge? bottleneck cause of my old hardware. I'm definitely getting a new mobo/cpu/ram in the next few months cause I'm eager to see what the SLI setup can really do with newer hardware to match. I notice my card barely hit 50-60 usage in most games (like Crysis), but I'm not sure if it's the game, drivers or my old hardware (bottleneck). In BlackOps I'm getting 60-90+ fps in MP which is good, but GPU ussage is around 25-33. In SP it hits 25-30fps sometimes, but I'm pretty sure thats the game cause many ppl are having the same issues; the game is poorly optimized.
I was thinking of something like this ...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3188069&cm_re=evga_x58-_-13-188-069-_-Product (EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115211&cm_re=i7-_-19-115-211-_-Product (Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=corsair_dominator-_-20-145-289-_-Product (CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C7)
First of all. What do you think of my current setup? Don't know much about bottlenecks, do I have a huge bottlneck in my system? Should I be getting alot more out of SLI setup with newer hardware?
Do you think I should take the plunge now or wait for the new "Sandy Bridge"? (I'm really itching to see what a newer cpu/mobo and faster DDR3 RAM and do) Is the i7 950 enought for those 2 cards in SLI? Would love a 980, but its just way to expensive IMO and most games dont even use the full power of 4 cores (so why bother with 6?) at the moment.
Thank you.
PS: I run all games at 1920x1200 (Native).
Last edited: