• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrading and need some advice

Setzer777

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
418
Looking at upgrading my MSI 5900XT card and need some advice. Trying to do this w/o having to buy a whole new MB & CPU as I don't have the funds to do a complete overhaul at the moment. Which means, I'm looking to upgrade my video card and still go with AGP. My CPU is an AMD 64 3400 and my MB is a DFI LP nf3 250. I'm looking at the following 4 cards and would like to get your opinions on which would be the best one to get....

eVGA 256-A8-N344-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB - $304

GIGABYTE Radeon X800XL GV-R80L256V - $259

ASUS Radeon X800PRO - $239

MSI Geforce 6600GT NX6600GT-VTD128 - $186 -$30 MIR

I could spend the $300 and get the 6800 but is it worth that sort of investment when I may be upgrading within the next year to a board with PCI-X? I've heard some good things about the Radeon X800PRO and being able to flash it to an XL card but its about $100 more than the 6600GT card. Don't both those cards perform about the same, just the X800 has VIVO? Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice you all can give.
 
I would go with the x800xl hands down best bang for the buck of the 3. Wish I could of found 2 myself cheap to run in SLI. :D
 
You really can not go wrong with the X800XL, but if you want to upgrade for the minimum, check out the X800 PRO from ATI for $179.00 with a 3 year warranty.
 
That's a nice deal on the x800 pro! How big a difference is there between the x800 pro and the x800 xl? Is it worth $80 more for the xl card?
 
That x800 refurb deal that ati is putting up is a killer deal.. I would go with that. If you want a little more bang, go with the x800xl. IMHO, I dont think its worth the extra $100 for the performance you would get out of an XL model in this case.
 
If u really need HDR and SM3 then the 6800gt o/c have lowered theyr prices.
But I would wait till august, ATI's new card might lauch then.
 
Back
Top