Upgraded Network/Frequent Drops/Range Ext?

JOSHSKORN

Limp Gawd
I've recently upgraded my network from the following products: D-Link DI-714P+ (router) and D-Link DWL-520+ (Wireless NIC) to a Linksys WRT54G v8 (Router) and WMP54GS (Wireless NIC) for my desktop. I have not changed the physical locations of the new router and my desktop computer. Basically I upgraded from 802.11b to 802.11g.

My house is 2 stories. My router is upstairs, and my bedroom w/ my computer is downstairs, one room down and across a small hallway.

With my NEW Linksys products, I experience frequent drops which cause my games to lag. I did not experience this with my old 802.11b products. I would think that considering that I'm upgrading to the 'g' standard that I'm simply increasing the wireless throughput and range.

Here's my question. How can I fix it? I've come to the conclusion of trying two different things:
1. Reflashing with DD-WRT. I don't really want to try this since I'm inexperienced at this kind of stuff.
2. Using a Range Extender. Considering that I haven't changed distances and my 'b' network worked fine, I really am not convinced that this would work. Am I wrong about this?

My dad forbade me to get a 'n' router because of some reports he found off tomshardware where the signals dropped dramatically at the 25ft and 35 ft ranges. Should I get a new router? FYI my computers run Microsoft Vista. Thanks.

Back