• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade worth it?

Raudulfr

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
Messages
2,733
Hi,


I currently have a 3.4GHz Q9550 on an old P965 (P5B Deluxe) motherboard along with 8GB DDR2.


I have an opportunity to sell it for a decent price and buy a used Core i5 750 / P55-UD4 / 8GB DDR3 bundle for 60 € more.
I know SB is all the rave right now but I just can't afford it ATM. (I'm planning a new rig in a year or so)


Is it worth it?



TL;DR: Q9550/P965/8GB --> i5 750/P55/8GB for 60 € worth it?
 
No. Get the new Sandy Bridge. The i5 750 isn't a poor choice but does not do on the fly calculations like the 2500K does. For multi fps, there is a big difference in fps and smoothness. Especially in BFBC2. I sold my Q9450 setup for a 2500K and there is a BIG difference b/w the two. My 9450 was at 3.6 and the 2500K is at stock 3.3. The 2500k destroys the 9450 in bfbc2. Like a 35 fps avrg increase at least.
 
You would see an increase in performance if you overclock the 750 as well.

Are you dong anything that would require the upgrade? If not, I would say wait until you can afford something better.
 
Back
Top