• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Upgrade path for Sandys?

Joined
Jan 7, 2010
Messages
38
Oh, hear me friends.....

I know it's a bit early to speculate on such matters but, in order to upgrade from Sandy to Ivy, do you think it will be a socket change or just a BIOS update on existing P67 boards(kinda like the upgrade path from Kentsfield to Yorkfield)?

The reason for this question is because well...I'm in a bit of a pickle here.
For the past six months I've been squirreling away for a 1156 rig and have all components for this build, except for the CPU. Before the Sandys were released, I thought the performance difference between the 1156 &1155 would be about 10%-15%. But it seems, the gap is greater than what I had initially anticipated.

I apologize for another "Dear Abby, what should I do" thread but, this has got to be the hardest PC upgrade decision I have ever considered.

One more thing, Anyone running Sabertooth 55i? Can it handle moderate overclocks sans problems. I read the review here and it seems like a dud. Any personal experience would be welcome.
 
I'm not sure if Ivy Bridge will be all LGA 2011 or not... I wouldn't count on full forward compatibility unless someone else here has more/better info.
 
I'm not sure if Ivy Bridge will be all LGA 2011 or not... I wouldn't count on full forward compatibility unless someone else here has more/better info.

I'd assume it would work the same was as P55 did. You get x number of CPU refreshes and then a new socket. Any cpu advances would come on LGA 2011.

Don't play the waiting game. You've been saving up for the upgrade and I'm assuming you need it. Sell the P55 board you have, pick-up a p67 and eat the loss. Go Sandy Bridge, be happy.
 
I'm not sure if Ivy Bridge will be all LGA 2011 or not... I wouldn't count on full forward compatibility unless someone else here has more/better info.
I'd say probably not. 1155 was designed as a cheap mass produced socket, 2011 is the expensive maximum performance part. That said, 1155 does not have enough memory bandwidth to keep a hexcore CPU fully fed. With the 22nm die shrink costs on them should be low enough to be affordable for mass market systems, and unless AMD botches bulldozer, will probably be needed to remain competitive. Depending on the availability of DDR4 memory I expect a new socket either LGA1154 (2xDDR4), or LGA1356 (3xDDR3) to come with the mainstream ivy bridge parts. It's possible that intel might continue to use LGA 1155 as the low end socket even if they launch a new one for faster mainstream parts, but if they do I doubt it will have any of the K CPUs that OCers will want.
 
LGA 2011 is supposed to be Sandy Bridge, unless Intel has made new announcements that I missed.

Ivy Bridge comes next year and I'm expecting new sockets again for more PCI lanes & bandwidth upgrades. Lightpeak & USB3 should be in the chipsets by then as well hopefully, at least on the high end socket.
 
Back
Top