upgrade from 768mb to 1gb ram worth it?

EquaLiZr

Supreme [H]ardness
right now i got 768mb (256 and 512)

is it worth upgrading to 2x512mb of ram or leave it at 256mb?

i noticed a big diff going from 512 to 768. is there that much more going from 768 to 1024?

It depends on what games you play, or programs you use. Certain games/programs will take as much RAM as you throw at it. I know Battlefield loads levels much quicker with more RAM. Same with other games/programs. Some you won't see a difference, but at least some should benefit.

If you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket go for it.

J said:
If you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket go for it.

yeah, I'd have to say so.

Although I'd recommend selling your 256, and getting another 512 stick. Probably won't matter too much whether you have 2x256 + 512 or 2x512, but that's just my opinion. Dual channel will make it faster.

dont have dual channel..its an older motherboard with 3 mem slots. (MSI KT3 ultra2)

EquaLiZr said:
dont have dual channel..its an older motherboard with 3 mem slots. (MSI KT3 ultra2)

I have one of those and tried putting a mobile 2500+ in it without much luck getting to do what I wanted. Any special tricks you used to get it to work?

As far as memory goes, unless you're really hurting for it, I'd just wait for a really hot deal on memory and go for it then. Save your money for Black Friday and you you'll get more for it then, whether you choose to spend it on memory or other stuff.

Back