upgrade antenna on wifi adaptor

bobstone

Limp Gawd
hey all

i got a wmp600n adapter and the stock antenna's dont work to well specially due to the fact that they are in the back area of my entertainment cent and surrounded by power, audio, and data cables.

I have never bought antennas before and wanted to know what would be a good option, i was thinking a small table top one with a long wire so i can move the antenna away from that area, maby on top on the entertainment center, but would the wire to the antenna need to be shielded?

my problem is low signal and it stutters during the play back of a 350 mb 40 min long video.

i have connected with the 5ghz N and 2.4 ghz g and i have low signal and stutter with bolth however browsing the web or copying files works fine.

my router is upstairs and it is a wrt610n

before i installed the wmp600n i was using a old g based router with dd-wrt as a client connected to the computer with a lan cable, and that provided perfect play back even with a 12gig 720p movie.

any ways, could ya all please gimme some good recommendations on replacement antennas for the adaptor.

i have now idea at all about them like does a 10 dbi antenna need more power then the stock 2dbi, can i put a higher dbi antenna on this card or does it need to be stock, ect...

Thanks
bob

Ya they got some antennas there. But I have no idea what I am looking for :). For example they got a indoor 5 ghz ant but what makes it better then the stock ones. ( other then the fact that almost everyhing will be better then stock )

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ya they got some antennas there. But I have no idea what I am looking for :). For example they got a indoor 5 ghz ant but what makes it better then the stock ones. ( other then the fact that almost everyhing will be better then stock )

Basicly the main thing your looking for is the db rating, the higher the better. 2nd thing to look for is to get the right connector.
RP-SMA or just SMA is a smaller connector which is very common. Linksys routers use a much larger connector (RP-TNC).

So if it has a higher db rating does it need extra power also or is the db rating just have to do with the designe?

The db refers to db of gain over some kind of reference antenna. I have no idea what they use in the wireless router world but I would imagine it is standard throughout the industry.
So, if antenna A has 6db gain and antenna B has 11db gain, all else being equal, antenna B will provide a higher signal level than antenna A.

Is there any way to know the rating for the antenna your looking to replace?

The current antennas are 2 db. So if I understand correctly db has no relation to power provided to the antenna?

Also would I need to get a 5 ghz and a 2.4 ghz antenna or do the antennas not matter as far a h they operate on?

Back