Upgarding options/problems

ShaolinDragon

Limp Gawd
I am going to upgrade my computer. I got this computer nearly 5 years ago and came with a copy of windows xp home edition no service pack. The copy of windows came with the "Medion" name branded on it and it is a medion pc. Am i able to change the motherboard and still use this copy of windows? Plus i am having an arguement with a friend so can u help me. Can an OEM product be bought on its own? My understanding of it is this which was copied and pasted from a site.
"Stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer." This refers to a company that produces hardware to be marketed under another company's brand name. For example, if Sony makes a monitor that will marketed by Dell, a "Dell" label will get stuck on the front, but the OEM of the monitor is Sony. You can also use the term as a verb, such as, "That Dell monitor over there is OEM'd by Sony." so it shouldnt have to come with an essential part like a motherboard or CPU, its just the same as a normal retail one basicaly. Comfirm please

You might need to reactivate it again if you chage the Mobo,

OEM software and be bought, it has to be bought with a peice of equipment, but under certin circumstances it is legal and possible to buy OEM software.

this is always a wierd issue. you have OEM software, and you have VLC software, which can be confused.

OEM is just like what you buy off the shelf, requires activation, though SOMETIMES it has an installation management text file in it that places some of the OEM branding in the operating system (when you rgo to the computer properties sheet and it has the dell, HP, compaq, etc logo there)

VLC is your Volume License Copy, which has no activation, and often times administrators will slip the product key in the disk so you never have to enter one manually. the product key is what links the installation to the license, which allows X ammount of machines to be installed bassed on what the manufacturer payed. this disk should never end up in the hands of the end user/customer, but the manufactuer reserves the right to use that copy to install machines that come off their assembly lines, yet include an OEM disk with the system when it ships.

so, chances are, if you use the OEM disk for the first time, you will have to activate it, but it will probably work as if it is a brand new copy of windows installing on a new macine without any hang ups in the process (for example, you won't have to call M$ up to verify you are re-activating a hardware change)

Back