Updating to Win7x64: issues with moving the libraries

Tex Arcana

Limp Gawd
I've finally upgraded to Win7x64, and it's NIICE... but I'm trying to move all my libraries (directories) from the C:\users\me to my data drive (F:\, separate unit). I did the right-click-properties-locations-browse bit, and it all seems to have done it, but the explorer window still shows what appears to be the old locations still there, and they're clickable and viewable.

wtfbbq596.png

How can I get rid of them? What'd I do wrong?

TIA.

What's the difference? I assume "libraries", because the instructions say go to "user libraries", but after saying that, it's probably "user folders".

What's the difference? I assume "libraries", because the instructions say go to "user libraries", but after saying that, it's probably "user folders".

Libraries aggregate a view of multiple folders, possible spanning separate volumes.

User folders reside in C:\Users\<username>\ by default, and are a single folder that corresponds to the SHGetFolderPath function

fake edit: I fucked up bigtime. :(

I went and changed the drive letters (to make 'em make better sense), and I think I broke all the link associations. Any ideas how to get them back?

fake edit: I fucked up bigtime. :(

I went and changed the drive letters (to make 'em make better sense), and I think I broke all the link associations. Any ideas how to get them back?

Change the letters back? ;)

The reason I ask is because there are two separate interfaces for changing libraries and user folders. My guess is that you want to change user folders to point to a different drive (e.g. I use D:\Documents D:\Downloads, etc for my stuff because I'm reinstalling the OS every week). In that case, you should be able to do that from the locations dialog as you tried, and then it will ask "do you want to move existing files." If you answer "yes" it will delete the old C:\Users\<username>\<folder>. If you choose "no", you'll have to do that yourself.

Once you do that, the libraries should automatically update to reference the new location. If you want to add additional places (or remove places), you can right click->properties on the library, and it will allow you to change library properties. The one with the check is where files dragged/saved to the library (and not a specific folder in the library) will be saved.

OP. I think you're trying to make this very simple solution a complicated one.

Go to your F: drive and create a folder called Users. Inside that, create a folder named Documents, Music, Pictures and, Video. Now go to C:\users\yourusername and right click Documents, choose properties, location; select Find Target. Point to the Document folder you create on F:\ and it will ask you to move all of your files. Do this for each of the 4. Libraries will automatically adjust to the new location. They continue to look at the appropriate user folder even if they are pointing to another drive.

Yah, both methods work, thanks guys. I did just reset the DATA drive to F:, and that fixed it. :-\

Back