Updated Sound Card Drivers = Problem. Help Please

Fazzar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
290
I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2. I updated the drivers for the first time in 3 years yesterday. I'm using the Driver set: 5.12.4.1196

The good news is that games now recognize my soundcard has hardware and I can select my card from the settings menu. It also does a lot better with surround sound.

The bad news is that when I plug in my headphones to the USB port, the sounds still comes over the speakers and not over the headphones. The microphone works and I can hear my friends on ventrilo. But games sounds come through the speakers.

Any thoughts as to what is going on?

Thanks.
 
I continue to work on this to no avail. My best guess is that I am not getting the old drivers completely cleaned out when I reinstall. I've followed the troubleshooting steps to a tee on Creative and I still can get the card to work properly with headphones.

Anyone?
 
isnt there a setting that turns off the speakers if you plug in the headphones?? Think Ive seen it somewhere in the creative setup/config shoot whats it called.. cant think of it right now... but where you set everything up via not your OS but through creative....

sorry this is such a lame reply
 
First, thanks for moving this to the right forum, didn't see Computer Audio before.

Second, thanks for the reply Lord. Yes, you are right, there is such a setting and I checked that it was configured properly. I've gone through various FAQs and manuals and I think I've got everything set right.

I'm becoming suspicious that the old drivers didn't uninstall properly. I've tried another uninstall and reinstall of the drivers following everything that Creative recommends to no avail.

What is very strange is that when I restart the computer, the Windows sounds are muted on the speakers and only coming over the headphones. However, after starting any game, the sounds stop coming through the headphones and begin coming through the speakers. When I exit the game, I find that all sounds, including Windows sounds come through the speakers.... very odd indeed.

Hopefully, these additional symptoms help someone smarter than me figure this out.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top