Unwanted Windows XP Dual Boot

GamezUK

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I started reinstalling Windows and then stopped the installation (I remembered stuff I hadn't backed up lol).

All my data is fine but now everytime I switch on my computer it asks me to select which OS I wan to load - one being XP Pro and the other being Windows XP Setup / Install.

It anoys me 'cos it means I have to be by my computer while it boots (XP Install is selected by default!).

How can I remove the XP Install from the boot list?

Thanks

right click my computer

hit properties

hit advanced\

under start up and recovery hit settings

click edit

delete the one that you do not want

save the file and exit

reboot and enjoy not having the other os listed

compslckr said:
right click my computer

hit properties

hit advanced\

under start up and recovery hit settings

click edit

delete the one that you do not want

save the file and exit

reboot and enjoy not having the other os listed

How can he right-click on YOUR computer, and why should he be hitting things!? :p

p.s. do what he said

OK thx a lot

This is what I have, I want to remove 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup' but where do I start deleting from?

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

Thanks again

Code:
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

delete that part

It worked, but not perfectly.

It still goest to the dual boot select OS screen only now, the options are 'Windows XP Professional' (the right one) and 'Windows Default'

Is it possible to not have to go through this, like on normal comps with only one OS?

yep, right click my comptuer

click advanced

under start up and recovery click settings

uncheck the box next to time to display list of operating systems

hit ok and reboot

Ah, just had quite a scare!

I restarted for the first time after un-checking the box for 'time to display list of operating systems' and my comp failed to get past the BIOS..!

I popped into safemode and did some research on my lappy before applying the changes...

Everything is fixed and working perfectly now, but that was not plesent!

I must be missing something, why not just back up your files and reload like you started to, you obviously wanted to originally -why not just do what you started to do, how annoying could that pop-up be.. you boot once,,, backup.. restart and reload.. seems straight forward

Although I semi-agree with that solution, I would imagine he did just that, except he probably did it twice; once unsuccessfully. I could be wrong, though, as we haven't really gotten much of an explanation.

I visited the MS boot.ini iinfo site and read up some stuff then compared their WinXP sample boot.ini to my own after looking at it in safe mode...

mine seemed pretty messed up (especially after the first bit I deleted!) I copied the structure of the MS one to my own and that fixed eveything!

Back