Unusually poor performance.

Airmoran

n00b
Joined
Mar 19, 2005
Messages
2
Hello, I'm a noob, and I'm having problems figuring out why my PC performs so poorly :p

Anyways, after my old computer (a laptop) died, I decided to rip out the cpu and my ext. hd, and build a new computer for cheap(ish). Here are the specs:

Pentium 4 4.06 ghz w/ HT
BFG 6600 GT OC (128 megs)
Asus P4P800-e Deluxe
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480w
2x512meg Kingston sticks.
Western Digital 200 gigs.

Unfortunately, my comp's performance is worse than my old laptop, even with a much superior graphics card and additional ram. In Unreal Tournament 2004, framerates are generally 10-20 in assault mode, regardless of resolution or settings. In Deathmatch, it ranges anywhere from 15-50.

I ran 3dmark05, and the results are on par with what I expected (~2200), but sandra's cpu arithmetic benchmark outputted ~4125MIPS and 2553/2814 MLOPS. That's roughly on par with a 1.5ghz cpu.

I tried disabling hyperthreading with no dice. At this point, I'm thinking the cpu may have taken too many beatings during its life in a laptop (it did overheat more than once).

Does anyone know how to solve this or will I have to get a new cpu? Thanks in advance.
 
did you check cpu temps in your new setup? it sounds like its overheating and throttling down.
 
Hmm... good idea...



Woah, there we go. I checked out ThrottleWatch, and it goes all over the place, even occassionally while the system is idling. I guess that's the culprit. Thanks!

Admittantly my cpu fan ain't my fan of choice (A Master Cooler Aero 4 after my Actic Cooling Freezer 4 arrived defective), but I'm still surprised at the cpu's idling temp of 53 degrees. Maybe I just got some skin oil mixed in the thermal paste. :-/

Anyways, thanks again. If anyone has suggestions for good, quiet cooling, I'm all ears. :D
 
Back
Top