untangle not letting open hotmail & facebook.

rxteenager

Gawd
Hey guys well I got an untangle server setup today. I have spyware, web filter lite, virus blocker, firewall, intrusion prevention, attack blocker & reports. I setup some filters on web filter but left out social media. It's a really small company so my boss wanted that to be open. Well for some odd reason the hotmail website won't even open up. I can get to facebook but i can't log in. I have disabled everything running on the untangle server. i haven't implemented any rules on the firewall besides what's setup by default. I can log into gmail just fine though, and even after everything was disabled I still couldn't get those two sites to work. I even added them to the pass list on the web filter.

Sounds like it is working better than designed!

What if you try to ping those addresses, do you get a result? Wonder if there is some dns related issue.

MTU issue?
I've seen that cause issues with hotmail before.
Is untangle also acting as a router?

Yahoo/Hotmail...Untangle doesn't like the newer php/ajax used in the newer fancy interface of Yapoo and Hotmail. If you log into your yahoo/hotmail account and flip it to the classic theme...that works fine through Untangle.

If you want to use the newer fancy interface....have to go into the Intrusion Detection module and disable "block" for the php/ajax rule that kicks in. I forgot how it's named in the ID module...try to log into hotmail...note the time..and then go into the event logs for the ID module in Untangle..find the rule name..and then go into the list of rules (yeah...loooooong list)...find it, and uncheck the "block" box.

Note...they are defaulting that rule to allow traffic to hotmail/yahoo in version 9.1 which is almost ready to be released.

As for Facebook...I don't have a reason why it's stopping your Facebook...

Alright so I got untangle up and running again, i removed intrusion detection completely from the rack. I can now see the log in screen for hotmail.com. But the same thing happens when I try to log into it. The browser just sits there waiting forever, this is in chrome, firefox & IE. I'm using an XP system for this test.

Last edited:
Back