Untangle Box - Which Mobo?

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm looking to assemble a low power Untangle box for my small home network. There are a total of three computers on the network.

Would this motherboard suffice? Click

TIA

Scroll down to post 96 in this thread, I got that gear and had Untangle on it for a bit, ran just fine.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528968&page=5

It's a D510 Atom, dual core.
Yes the 410 and earlier Atoms will do for a home setup with just a PC or a couple....performance will depend on what you do with it. If you're a heavy downloader..you may find you tax the Atoms a bit. But for average web use the dual cores do fine.

The 1U chassis I got is also in the above link, is an relatively unknown one that Supermicro makes...it's a front I/O model which IMO is better.

Also the hard drive I got in the above link, is a low heat low energy consumption model which is ideal for DVRs and firewalls and stuff like that.

If you happen to be a heavier internet user and are worried that the Atom isn't enough nut for you...Supermicro also has some motherboards which fit that short 1U chassis just fine..that take dual core/core 2 duo/xeons.

I "think" I read something about Intels Atom board which required a workaround installing an earlier version of Untangle over on Untangles forums...may want to do a search over there and check on their hardware compat list in the Wiki. I'd guess it runs smoothly on the newer version of Untangle though...they really increased the hardware compat with versions 7.3 and current release of 7.4.

All I can say is on the SuperMicro D510 board that I used and linked...7.3 went on smoothly (whatever subversion was out 2x weeks ago, 7.4 was just released. There is a less expensive version of that SM board on Newegg that has a similar part number....minus the "O" or something..because it doesn't have the IPMI remote management module..it's about 60 bucks less.

I don't have pics of the unit...when I get it all installed in my 12U comm cabinet I'll post some..but with Neweggs picture views on their pages...you can see them from many angles.

I "think" I read something about Intels Atom board which required a workaround installing an earlier version of Untangle over on Untangles forums...may want to do a search over there and check on their hardware compat list in the Wiki. I'd guess it runs smoothly on the newer version of Untangle though...they really increased the hardware compat with versions 7.3 and current release of 7.4.

All I can say is on the SuperMicro D510 board that I used and linked...7.3 went on smoothly (whatever subversion was out 2x weeks ago, 7.4 was just released. There is a less expensive version of that SM board on Newegg that has a similar part number....minus the "O" or something..because it doesn't have the IPMI remote management module..it's about 60 bucks less.

I don't have pics of the unit...when I get it all installed in my 12U comm cabinet I'll post some..but with Neweggs picture views on their pages...you can see them from many angles.
Well I'll have to check if that motherboard will work with Untangle.

I priced out an untangle box for $220 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121399
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811234033
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148511
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106122

Looked at details of that mobo on neweggs site...
Uhm...realtek NICs...run far, run fast, keep away..puke..gag. Untangle, being a layer 7 UTM...really pushes the NICs hard, you don't want software controller driven CPU intensive el cheapo "win-nics", it will perform like a turd and require frequent reboots when memory leaks. You want good hardware controller based NICs...3COM or best...Intels.
I see you added an Intel NIC..but, why not get a motherboard that has built in Intel NICs? The motherboard I selected and linked had a pair of Intel gigabit NICs built onboard.

Basically what I am using for untangle except that I had a Intel Pro 1000 MT dual port server nic on hand that I used.

But I agree with YeOld if i had to do it again I would get the supermirco barebones with the onboard intel nics.

I've been running Astaro on it for over a week now, like Untangle, it also installed flawlessly and runs great.....probably be getting PFSense on her soon.

I just bought my case, Norco 2u 60$ for the case.

P1040065.JPG

used a spare motherboard with a LGA775 chip p4 dual core.
P1040074.JPG

Bought a pair of low profile nic cards Intel ones, they are on the way.

Untangle rocks.

However, i have been reading if you have alot of users that are using lots of internet traffic you might want a beefier cpu than the atom.

That's new to me... is it open source?

It's not open source...but they have a HGW version that is "free" for home users, not free for business use though. They have a "basic" version which is free for business use, there are no UTM features though, it's more a pure router like m0n0wall or Smoothwall.

I'll stick to Untangle then... thanks YeOldeStonecat.

For the motherboard, I want to stick with one that has intel chipsets for the network?

At marginal speeds (like an Atom), using Intel NICs is probably more important. Stay away from Realtek.

Intel NIC's are the best, Broadcom are decent too, Realtek are shit.

Keep in mind though, that there are plenty of dual head intel NIC's out there that can be had for pretty much any slot. Just in case you land on a sweet as hell deal on a board with Realshit NIC onboard.

Intel NIC's are the best, Broadcom are decent too, Realtek are shit.

Keep in mind though, that there are plenty of dual head intel NIC's out there that can be had for pretty much any slot. Just in case you land on a sweet as hell deal on a board with Realshit NIC onboard.

found one on ebay, 15$ for a dual nic card dual gbit too.! was a low profile hp one with intel chipset.

edit :

example, !!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INTEL-PRO-C41421...39780727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_1690wt_1117

Scroll down to post 96 in this thread, I got that gear and had Untangle on it for a bit, ran just fine.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528968&page=5

It's a D510 Atom, dual core.
Yes the 410 and earlier Atoms will do for a home setup with just a PC or a couple....performance will depend on what you do with it. If you're a heavy downloader..you may find you tax the Atoms a bit. But for average web use the dual cores do fine.

The 1U chassis I got is also in the above link, is an relatively unknown one that Supermicro makes...it's a front I/O model which IMO is better.

Also the hard drive I got in the above link, is a low heat low energy consumption model which is ideal for DVRs and firewalls and stuff like that.

If you happen to be a heavier internet user and are worried that the Atom isn't enough nut for you...Supermicro also has some motherboards which fit that short 1U chassis just fine..that take dual core/core 2 duo/xeons.

Thanks for those recommendations. I think I will use those parts when I build my Untangle box. Have you found the IPMI management much use?

Today i totally put a load on my P4 2.3 with 2 gigs ram, that beast got HOT! she was over working for sure.

I can see that untangle sure takes some, power to run.! Good thing my new box is being built tomorrow.!

Today i totally put a load on my P4 2.3 with 2 gigs ram, that beast got HOT! she was over working for sure.

I can see that untangle sure takes some, power to run.! Good thing my new box is being built tomorrow.!

What all did you have running on it to put on the load?

That's hardly a load. The torrents put some on it, windows update was really nothing..that's just http to one source.

Get 50 people surfing different sites, several of those users watching youtube, a mail server with lots of SMTP traffic coming it...now you're talking about starting to put a load on it.

What was your CPU load? I don't recall a P4 2.3GHz.

That's hardly a load. The torrents put some on it, windows update was really nothing..that's just http to one source.

Get 50 people surfing different sites, several of those users watching youtube, a mail server with lots of SMTP traffic coming it...now you're talking about starting to put a load on it.

What was your CPU load? I don't recall a P4 2.3GHz.

untangle%20cpu%20load.JPG

not really under load now, but here are the specs. SHE was running HOT yesterday, mind you it was 36deg out here on vancouver island.

I doubt you could get her to reach 1.0 on the CPU load from home. Downloading w/4-5 rigs can saturate your bandwidth pipe from your ISP, but it's still actually a light load for your router.

Here's a screenie from a client of mine, nursing home, HP Prolian DL320 G2..old old 1U rack mount server with a plain Pentium 2.26 in her..no Xeon. Just 1.2 gigs of RAM. It's on a 12 meg internet pipe, with approx 50 users on the network...many online with pharmaceutical portals, and I know there are a few Pandora and other online music listeners in the office.

She's a "weak" box horsepower wise...hopefully I'll close out the year before having to reboot her. :)
fvwuntangle.jpg

I doubt you could get her to reach 1.0 on the CPU load from home. Downloading w/4-5 rigs can saturate your bandwidth pipe from your ISP, but it's still actually a light load for your router.

Here's a screenie from a client of mine, nursing home, HP Prolian DL320 G2..old old 1U rack mount server with a plain Pentium 2.26 in her..no Xeon. Just 1.2 gigs of RAM. It's on a 12 meg internet pipe, with approx 50 users on the network...many online with pharmaceutical portals, and I know there are a few Pandora and other online music listeners in the office.

She's a "weak" box horsepower wise...hopefully I'll close out the year before having to reboot her. :)
fvwuntangle.jpg

NICE uptime :) I have 2 processors LGA's ones a p4 with hd 3.0 1mb cache @ 800fsb, OR i can use a core 2 duo 2.0. Not sure what one i want to use yet.

Just waiting for my intel network cards to get here, should be today. I will have 3 network cards, one will be dedicated to my WAP device, and the other will got o my 24 port switch. I hope i can configure this properly like this.

i build untangle boxes in those norco 2us, jetway or ecs atom 330 boards (depending on what's available)

and if ecs, i get 2 pcie intel nics, and if the jetway, i get 2 pci intel nics...

Tt430w, 160GB WD HDD, 2GB of kingston, done and done

have built over 10 of those

have also built a few NAS in those norco cases, depending on where it sits, i will rewire the case fans in it for 7v....

have also built a few NAS in those norco cases, depending on where it sits, i will rewire the case fans in it for 7v....

That's what i did, i cut the connectors off, and wired the 12V fans into the 5v side, they run slower and quieter. still move air too. I love my norco case, i would like to build a few of these machines one NAS and one company server and another maybe toy box :)

Might want to remove the URL in that screenshot.

I also have the IMPI Supermicro 510 1U box. I have been running pfSense on it for the past few months, and am now trying Astaro on it. Both have very little utilization for normal web/torrent traffic (I keep my torrents at ~2mb down, 90k up, with the torrents bursting to 20mb down). With pfSense, I never saw the CPU logs show more than 15% load.

I am playing with Astaro because it is a default to deny. Takes longer to poke the holes that I need in it, but once it is set up, I'll feel much better about things.

ETA: personally I have had bad luck with untangle. This was a few months ago with Untangle 7.2. It didn't recognize my PCI-E intel NICs, and I didn't want to have to worry about trying to configure it to work. It used the onboard realtek's, but they would crap out under any sort of load, forcing me to restart the box every few days. When trying to install untangle on the 510 system with Untangle 7.3, I could not get the console to work, so it was completely useless.

With regards to the IPMI, now that I have it set up I am enjoying it. During installs I could keep an eye on what it was doing on my main workstation instead of having to use the KVM to keep switching back and forth, and I can monitor and control it headless.

Crazy long password on there, so I wasn't worried.

But since I'm sitting here pushing out some group policy push installs at that client...it's smudged out now.

Going on a few weeks now with Astaro on that box..with rather heavy home use it's not bogging down at all. I'm quite pleased with that dual core Atom setup.

i was going to try astaro, but i wanted av at the gateway, and astaro doesn't have that :(.

So it's untangle for me.

i was going to try astaro, but i wanted av at the gateway, and astaro doesn't have that :(.

So it's untangle for me.

You said that about 2 weeks ago in another post..and several of us corrected it...

Yes it does have antivirus..matter of fact..it has 2 different ones. There are several different Astaro versions, and for home users....they have a FREE version that includes TWO antivirus engines..plus anti spyware...plus..many other things.

Here check this out...
http://www.astaro.com/landingpages/en-worldwide-homeuse

"ncrease your Internet Bandwidth - You can make easy use of multiple Internet connections at the same time, giving your home more bandwidth.
Protect your Kids Web Surfing Habits - Use Web Filtering to stop sites from infecting you with viruses and spyware, keep your kids from surfing to bad sites, and get full reporting on the activity in your home.
Solve your Spam Mail Problems - Use Mail Filtering to clean up your inbox and reduce the amount of spam you have to sift through using any POP3 or SMTP setup.
Access your Home Network from Anywhere - Dial in using Roadwarrior VPN access to securely use Remote Desktop, transfer files, and even print, from anywhere in the world, even from your iPhone.
Connect to Work or Friends - Create a permanent tunnel to other ASG devices, linking you with a friends network, or having the perfect encrypted link to your office Astaro to work from home!
Stop Viruses in Web and Email - Dual Scanning Engines stop viruses in file downloads, email attachments, and embedded in web sites. Astaro catches them at the gateway, before they can get in to assault your computers.
And a lot more..."

Poke around their website and look at the screenshots of the web admin.

You said that about 2 weeks ago in another post..and several of us corrected it...

Yes it does have antivirus..matter of fact..it has 2 different ones. There are several different Astaro versions, and for home users....they have a FREE version that includes TWO antivirus engines..plus anti spyware...plus..many other things.

Oh i might have missed the post or miss read it, i'm usually up late, reading. is the vpn easy to setup like untangle is ? I love how easy it was to setup the Untangle vpn, i use the vpn all the time.

are the anti-virus features of astaro and untangle the only reasons you guys are using that over pfsense?

are the anti-virus features of astaro and untangle the only reasons you guys are using that over pfsense?

Anti Spyware modules have shown to also be quite effective...I have far less rogue/fake alert calls at clients that I have running behind Untangle.

As well as spam/virus filtering for e-mail servers.

I love PFSense also, it's my favorite for use at home...excellent QoS ensure the best online gaming I can have despite what others in my household are doing on their computers.
But for business networks...UTMs are a must these days, gone are the days of a plain old NAT router, business networks need additional layers of protection.

Anti Spyware modules have shown to also be quite effective...I have far less rogue/fake alert calls at clients that I have running behind Untangle.

As well as spam/virus filtering for e-mail servers.

I love PFSense also, it's my favorite for use at home...excellent QoS ensure the best online gaming I can have despite what others in my household are doing on their computers.
But for business networks...UTMs are a must these days, gone are the days of a plain old NAT router, business networks need additional layers of protection.

I like how Untangle catches alot of spyware and viruses, However i don't really download viruses but having that extra protection = best for my house.

I bought the sonic wall unit and it didn't stop NOTHING BUT SHIT ALL! so i took it back, ever since then it was suggested that i use untangle. Ever since then i have been using untangle. I did a few jobs lately and wished that those customers were using it :(
I'm very excited to get my untangle box running tomorrow.

J'

I really like those atom 510 boards but they only have the 2 nics. I couldn't find a cheap intel pci express nic to add.

Any ideas?

i bought 2 pci intel 10/100/1000 nic cards for 29$ each. Should be here today or tomorrow, then ill start installing my new untangle box.

can't wait to start collecting Rack servers.

Back