Unmanaged switches with SFP

Eiolon

Gawd
I believe it was around 2004 when we first setup our network. We have four data closets with fiber going between them. Each have three D-Link DSS-24+ switches with 10/100 ethernet. We would like to upgrade to switches with gigabit ethernet but are having a hell of a time finding a variety that use SFP modules. Has this standard gone the way of the Dodo? Should I be look at something else? We don't have the money for anything managed nor do we need it.

HP 1400-24G. 1410-24G. I have one at home with a fiber SFP. Rock solid.

I bought the SFP modules for 5 a piece online.

Just verify that you get the proper SFP's regarding multimode vs singlemode.

There is really a very small cost difference between an unmanaged switch and a simple managed one. In some cases, a managed switch will be less money.

You don't want the exttra points of failure with a media converter. It's a solid state device and will likely never fail, but it has cheap power supplies that will, and extra cables to tangle up or unplug by accident.

Really, an hP 18010-24G is $200, how much less do you want to spend? Any business large enough to have 4 network closets can afford to spend a little more to get better quality switches.

Just looking on newegg, I found some unmanaged switches with SFP but no brands that I would use, especially in a business.

In all reality, how many ports do you need each switch to have, and how much traffic will be running from switch to switch.

If you are upgrading the access ports to gigabit without upgrading the rest of the infrastructure (switch to switch), you might be creating a large bottleneck. If the uplinks are only 1gbps, and each port can pull 1gbps, well, you do the math.

I think you need to sit down and see just how much traffic will be running over the uplink between switches before deciding to upgrade to all 1gbps.

Also, don't avoid web smart switches. In your case I think it would serve you well to have some basic QOS options and simple network statistics.

Alright, I am going to look at some simple managed switches.

I noticed that Dell has a PowerConnect 2824 and 2848 which supposedly does VLANs and QoS if needed. We get huge price breaks from Dell so if those are good it might be ideal.

Our building size isn't really a good judge of how much we can afford. We are non profit so we have fixed budgets.

We are pushing some heavy multimedia around the office though and tons of video conferencing going on. Hell, many people video conference just to talk to someone in an office next door to them.

Back