Unlapped TRUE or Nirvana?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
439
I'm swapping out an old Q6600 B3 for a new Q6600 G0, and while I'm at it...I'm considering swapping to a different cooler.

On the original Q6600 B3 I had in that machine, I was using the unlapped TRUE and got the following results:

Room Temp: 24C
Idle: Avg 39-42 per core
Load: Avg 52-55 per core

The TRUE always gave me two concerns:

1) The weight of the TRUE has always concerned me, and on more than one occassion I've had problems with the weight of it. I've had to fashion a 'suspender' for it to help support it.

2) Most user reports/reviews I read suggest lapping it and I haven't lapped mine.

I also have a ZEROtherm Nirvana.

What do you guys think I'll be better off with....an unlapped TRUE or ZEROtherm Nirvana?

The TRUE is 'generally' seems to be accepted as one of the best performing air coolers. However, I prefer not to do any lapping of the CPU Heat Spreader or the Heatsink...I'm still a novice at this and don't trust myself not to make it any worse than it might be from the factory. The ZEROtherm shouldn't require any lapping.

Q6600 is running at stock speed right now, but I will be overclocking it.
 
Even an unlapped TRUE should be better than a Nirvana. Plus, you're getting great temps as it is, so I see no reason to switch.
 
TRUE. It's already proven it has the edge, and those temps aren't bad.

As for support issues, you've got the proper Thermalright mounting hardware with the springloaded screws, right?
 
If the weight is an issue (which it definitely sounds like it is from your other thread) then a Xigmatek is fairly lightweight option to consider. Not sure how the 1283 weight compares to the Nirvana. Anyway all of the listed coolers work great, so its up to you which one you feel most comfortable using.

If I had a cooler that required a suspender to keep the CPU in proper contact with the socket, no way would I be using it.
 
I agree I have the 1283 and it works great, however I sprung of the mounting hardware
Aelfgeft mentioned just to be safe.... Does the mounting system come with the true:

Bolt Thru Kit

I would just keep the true and get one of those for 5 bucks if you don't have one.

My temps are about the same as yours @3.2gHz but ambient room temps is usually a bit warmer than 24c. (keeping the AC cranked is killing me)
 
Thanks alot for the help, info, and advice guys....

I ended up deciding to go ahead and go with the TRUE again. When I disassembled my system, I noticed that the TRUE backplate had come 'unstuck'. I don't wonder if that had anything to do with my previous 'sag' problem. I used a little thermal silicone adhesive to fasten it securely to the back of the motherboard this time...and re-assembed. So far...I don't have the suspender on any more and so far...it seems to be running reliably. I've got my fingers crossed and am praying to the computer gods in hopes that it doesn't start sagging again.

Thanks again :)
 
Thanks alot for the help, info, and advice guys....

I ended up deciding to go ahead and go with the TRUE again. When I disassembled my system, I noticed that the TRUE backplate had come 'unstuck'. I don't wonder if that had anything to do with my previous 'sag' problem. I used a little thermal silicone adhesive to fasten it securely to the back of the motherboard this time...and re-assembed. So far...I don't have the suspender on any more and so far...it seems to be running reliably. I've got my fingers crossed and am praying to the computer gods in hopes that it doesn't start sagging again.

Thanks again :)

Its a cross brace with screws in it, as long as the screws are in it, its being solidly held in place. It does not have to "stick" to anything. That needs more explaining...
 
Sorry...I'll elaborate...

To install the TRUE backplate, according to manufacturer instructions, you need to use the double-stick tape on the back of the backplate...stick the thing in place..and then, of course, the bolt-through screws. Yup, I know most folks probably don't use the double-stick tape and it works just fine.

Anyhow, the 'tape' had come 'unstuck'. Once I had removed the screws, the backplate was no longer 'stuck' to the back of the mobo. It probably had nothing to do with my previous 'sag' problem. Just matter-of-fact information.

Either way...just wanted to say "thanks" to all who helped out and gave advice :)
 
Back
Top