"Unknown Device" popping up in Device Manager - Card will crash, cracked solenoid???

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an x850 Pro and after I install drivers, Windows keeps telling me it's detected an unknown device and prompts me to install drivers for it which of course it cannot find since it doesn't know what it is but device manager tells me it's located on the x850.

Device Manager shows the primary adapter, secondary adapter (the secondary video out on the card) and then the "Unknown" device that is located on the card.

Is something broken on the x850? This was a card I recieved in RMA from ATI.

Also, all applications I run to check the card says it's clockspeed is 0Mhz and any attempts to change this or overclock will result in instant crash although the card works perfectly fine if I force device manager not to install the Unknown device and I don't touch any settings on the card...ran 3Dmark for a few loops with no problems.

I've tried driver reinstall multiple times and also driver cleaner. Is some component on the card damaged? After many frustrating hours, I took it out and when inspecting it, I noticed there is a crack on top of one of the solenoids but it's just the top part, the metal wire loop is fine. That's the way I recieved the card from ATI RMA, are they going to say I physically damaged the card?

I think the missing device is the Rage theatre vivo chip. Don't know about the cracked "solenoid" thing...

Ply

I think the missing device is the Rage theatre vivo chip. Don't know about the cracked "solenoid" thing...

Ply

Yup, what he said. You should try installing the ATI WDM Drivers (VIVO) which you may have deleselected if you did a custom CAT install. As far as the overclocking issue, did you do a complete uninstall first, the a re-install. I would try that as well I you haven't. Including an uninstall of ATI Tray Tools if you're using it.

I've tried the entire Catalyst package, just the drivers and even Omega drivers and I keep getting the Unknown Device. It may very well be the Rage Theatre onboard. I'm still wondering if something isn't broken on the card because it does return 0Mhz for clock and most diagnostic programs get errors or crash even though the card can run games perfectly fine. On clean installs of ATI Tool, moving the slider even a little will lock the system.

Back