University has capped my IRC downloads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkmtech

Limp Gawd
Title says it all - whenever someone sends me a DCC, I'm no longer able to receive it at blazing speeds. Much rather, any sends I receive are very effectively throttled to 7.5kb/s.

I decided that maybe they were simply throttling a specific port - so I set the DCC sends to be connected on randomized ports between 5000 & 9999. No luck - all incoming DCC's were still being throttled to 7.5kb/s.

I've come to the conclusion that maybe they're using some sort of packet-sniffer/frame detection method to have their networking hardware analyze the packet & decide what rate I should receive the data for that connection.

I say this simply because downloads through other clients are unnaffected, as are downloads of large amounts of data via HTTP or FTP connections. (i.e. I was able to download the latest BF1942 Desert Combat mod yesterday at about 1.3mb/s)

Bottom line: What else might they be doing that I'm not thinking of, and is there a way around that, or the scenario I'm thinking of now? (i.e. program to re-encapsulate the frame headers?)

Thanks in advance to anyone with thoughts/comments/flames/suggestions... help is greatly appreciated - I sure hate leaving all this precious university bandwidth unused. ;)

You must be new, anyway this is going to get locked because no one here is going to help you thwart your restrictions.

Zlash is right, no one is going to help you thwart the restrictions set against you, even if it were possible which it isnt. Any speed caps that the university has insatlled are probably on the vlan switch or firewall or some sort of appliance that is locked away from students.

No you cannot rencapsulate the frame headers.
#1 Frames are a layer 2 datagram so changing the headers will not do a bit of good on the internet (even it were possible to do in real time)
#2 IRC specifically DCC is a two-way communication. Even if you could change the headers, the other end of the transmission wouldnt know what to do with them unless they do were also using the same software.

In short - Not going to happen

They are using some sort of SPI and QoS load limiting, but I will not help you get around it. Its their network, their internet, play by their rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back