• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Understanding 2600K Overclocking

dbxuau

n00b
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
54
My current equip is a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 with a 2600k and corsair 1600 ram. From everything I have read so far, I am under the impression that the following is the correct way to over clock this chip to 4.0ghz with a few questions.

1.) Set memory to XMP mode. Automatically sets itself to 1600. 9-9-9-24.
2.) In the bios, there is a "CPU Clock Ratio" and then there is Turbo Ratio for each core. Am I supposed to change the "Clock Ratio" or the "Turbo Ratio" for each core, or both? Do they need to be the same number? Should Turbo mode even be on to begin with?
 
My current equip is a gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 with a 2600k and corsair 1600 ram. From everything I have read so far, I am under the impression that the following is the correct way to over clock this chip to 4.0ghz with a few questions.

1.) Set memory to XMP mode. Automatically sets itself to 1600. 9-9-9-24.
2.) In the bios, there is a "CPU Clock Ratio" and then there is Turbo Ratio for each core. Am I supposed to change the "Clock Ratio" or the "Turbo Ratio" for each core, or both? Do they need to be the same number? Should Turbo mode even be on to begin with?


1. Yes, XMP has vdimm voltage too. Although I manually change command rate to 1T (use memtest to make sure you can though..)
2. disable turbo. Change the clock ratio. Manage vcore - auto will give it too much.

These chips are so easy to overclock.
 
Search the forums. There are so many articles that I alone have participated in answering redundantly.

Set turbo for all cores, or if you are really picky and like uneven stuff, individual cores.

Do not use base clock as this is now no longer how you OC sdb chips.
 
Thanks for responding but both of you are saying to do the opposite. Do I leave turbo on or off? Do I leave the base cpu clock (i think it was 35) alone and just change the turbo?
 
Use the multiplier, change that to whatever you want. Turbo or not, your choice.
 
Use the multiplier, change that to whatever you want. Turbo or not, your choice.

ya seriously this the first time ever that ocing has been easy a pi. up the multiplier and your set. Let the mobo adjust the rest for you. No more messing with FSB or voltages. Got mine up to 4.2ghz and probably more but im content.
 
Back
Top