Ugh stupid pfSense....

M0rph3us

2[H]4U
I need some help please. I am trying to run pfSense from a USB drive using the memstick version, and for some reason it keeps stopping and saying:

"Fatal Trap 12: Page Fault while in Kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0xf0001fe4
fault code - supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc0a01ca2
stak pointer = 0x28:0xe4c75ca4
frame pointer = 0x28:0xe4c75cb8
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
=DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL 0
current process = 0 (bwn0 taskq)
[thread pid 0 tid 64051]
Stopped at _mtx_lock_spin_failed+0x12: movl 0x3c(%ecx),%eaxdb>"

I have tried running with ACPI off, default mode as well as USB mode and I get the same error every time. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this stupid thing?

Update it works in my main PC and boots just fine. Maybe it has to do with some bios feature? I have everything I can think of turned off and on multiple times. Someone please help.

What version of pfsense? Have you tried another version? What hardware is in the system? What is immediately before the crash?

I believe the CPU is a Celeron D 3.33Ghz, Intel D945GTP, 4x256MB DDR2 (was in the computer when I got it). PC Power 510W Silencer, Belkin wireless card as well as a 4-port 10/100 card. No HDD or CD-rom drive, just the 1GB USB drive with pfSense on it.

The rig it works in is my sig rig.

Edit: I am using "pfSense-memstick-2.0-RC3-i386-20110621-1650.img.gz", and I believe it says something about Tick Timer right before this error. I don't have the machine in front of me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that is correct. I will check when I get home and let you know for sure.

current process = 0 (bwn0 taskq)

This looks like a NIC driver notation to me. Try yanking the Wireless card and see what happens on a reboot. Who knows, could be a funky interrupt issue.

This looks like a NIC driver notation to me. Try yanking the Wireless card and see what happens on a reboot. Who knows, could be a funky interrupt issue.

You sir are a genius. I now need to figure out why it doesn't work since it should be compatible given then chipset on the card. I didn't have the antenna attached, but I don't think that should matter. Thanks for the help.

It's supposed to be supported in 2.0 RC3 which is the one I am using since it runs on a Broadcom BCM4321 chipset. For some reason a bunch of people I guess are having this issue, oh well time to get a WRT54G to use for wireless.

That's what I do. ;) Looking for a cheap dual band N router to use as a WAP now though.

You sir are a genius.

No prolem :D

I've tried several PCI Wireless cards in various PFSense boxes. Some worked and some just went whacko. Personally, I've never been very happy with the GUI presented for WiFi cards anyway. So I've always just used an outboard AP of some sort, currently a POS Buffalo WCR-GN $25 special.

Back