Two Sysprep Questions

djnes

Fully [H]
I've only really used sysprep across different laptops, so this is a new set of questions for me.

Will sysprep work on a machine going from a Pentium 4 HT to a Pentium D?

How about a Pentium 4 (non-HT) to a Pentium 4 HT?

Both instances will be using new motherboards, but all have the same 865 Intel chipsets.

Yar, forgot a key detail. All PCs will be using XP Pro SP2 (VLK license).

in theory it *should* work as long as all the drivers are in the driver folder specified in the sysprep answer file, and also tell sysprep to detect the devices. You may also have to specify in the sysprep file to check/update the HAL since you're spanning across a couple CPU types. I've done similar going from a Dell system to an HP. As long as the basic chipset/cpu series was close and the drivers were in accessable in mini-setup I haven't had a problem.

it should work as long as the chipset is the same, there is a chance of BSODing with different chipsets or switching from AMD to Intel.

My last sysprep specs were

AMD 2500+
Nvidia Nforce 2 (i think)
no other changes were made

to

AMD 64 3500+
Nvidia Nforce 3

Worked like a champ, saved me a lot of time. Just back up your data first

I've only really used sysprep across different laptops, so this is a new set of questions for me.

Will sysprep work on a machine going from a Pentium 4 HT to a Pentium D?

How about a Pentium 4 (non-HT) to a Pentium 4 HT?

Both instances will be using new motherboards, but all have the same 865 Intel chipsets.

Yar, forgot a key detail. All PCs will be using XP Pro SP2 (VLK license).

1. Yeah, np
2. Should work. P4's were APIC. And single to dual should always work. Dual to Single depends on the PIC chip.
3. It shouldn't matter as long as all the drivers are there.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I've never done the answer files either. Is this needed for the switch to a Pentium D....or is it just the normal options on the Sysprep screen?

MSN Live Search sysprep.inf. There is also full sysprep documentation in the ref.chm, or deploy.chm depending on where you are looking. ;)

As long as you hit reseal, and rebuild mass storage device database, it should work fine.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back