Two GB Ethernet Ports?

Probably doesn't, but just a nice feature to throw in. Perhaps so you can connect one port directly to a switch and another directly connected to a PC for direct management access.

To use as a router would be the obvious reason. A low-cost, low-power Linux box makes a great router.

To use as a router would be the obvious reason. A low-cost, low-power Linux box makes a great router.

my thoughts exactly. Looks like it could possibly even do wireless access point duties as well depending on the capabilities of the wireless chipset.

it could also be configured as a passthru much like IP phones. AKA don't loose an ethernet port to hook this device to your TV.

Remember, those devices are meant for development and some of those applications might require (or be easier) if they have direct non-firewalled access to the internet.

To connect it to two different networks.

There are plenty of options. It could be a print server that connects 1 NIC to 192.168.1.0/24 and another 192.168.2.0/24. Lots of possibilities.

at work i build laser machines. PCs require two ethernet ports.

One for normal network communications, second to communicated with the laser unit from Miyachi.

just one example

Technically this can be done with VLANs over a single Ethernet drop if the IT dept. configured it in such a way.

Technically this can be done with VLANs over a single Ethernet drop if the IT dept. configured it in such a way.

I am sure most people know this, but the topic in discussion is what uses does a small computer like this have with 2 NICs.

Back