Two DVD-drives?

Meng-Chieh

Weaksauce
Ok...so I want to burn/copy my...errr...existing dvds...So in order for me to do that...do I really need TWO dvd drives? (One for burning, one for pure reading?)

No. Like with every backup scenario, you can extract the contents of the disc to an image file on your hard drive. After that, you can simply burn the file to a new disc using the same drive.

In fact, you can't do a pure DVD-to-DVD copy on-the-fly yet anyways. First, we need DVD writers that support DVD-9 "dual layer" discs.

And in addition to what Xonik said, you'll need something more than just Nero to do the copying.

So you guys are telling me that I either shouldn't have two optical drives at all or have the other one as a pure cd-rom? Thnx btw.

Um, no, I'm just saying that at minimum you can use one DVD writer. The other drive isn't absolutely necessary for the backup process. It might be convenient to use a DVD-ROM drive in conjunction with the DVD writer, but like I said, it's not necessary at this point.

Now, when "dual layer" burners hit the market in the coming months, and on-the-fly DVD burning becomes a reality, of course you'll need two drives (a "dual layer" burner, and another DVD drive) to take advantage of this.

Originally posted by Meng-Chieh
So you guys are telling me that I either shouldn't have two optical drives at all or have the other one as a pure cd-rom? Thnx btw.

You can have whatever you want in there. You just can't go to Blockbuster, rent a movie...bring it home and pop it in your computer and use Nero to make a 1:1 copy of it. There's the issue of disc size differences....and then the issue of piracy and copy protection, etc.

Originally posted by Meng-Chieh
...errr...

I'll see your errr and raise you a grrrrr :p

implied discussions count ;)
a little cut and paste
Originally posted by BlindedByScience
Originally posted by PlaneCrazy
I do, and everytime I rent a movie that's good!
....per the rules:
You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity.
Please keep this thread on the topic of hardware and legal uses, or it will get locked.

Thanks - B.B.S.

to clarify the postion here
it is allowed to discuss this issue
when you are backing up copyrighted material that you have purchased a license for .
(which is all you get, whenever you buy a movie or a song, the restrictions to that license are, you cant rent it (without paying royalties to the copyright owners) you cant publicly show it, and while under fair use you can ensure your access to the media in the event the original is damaged, copies for any other reason are verbotten) You "own" no rights to the work, its simply on loan, or more accurately it just happen to be on the media you own, the contents of which are licensed for your use, under some licenses your not even allowed to transfer the media you own (that is common for software)

Fair Use and Copyright @ Stanford University Libraries
and an important ebook (and promo videos, with a catchy tune, "mix tape") freely distributed there > Free Culture by Stanford Law Professor Lawrence Lessig
about a different approach to copyrights, and discussing the chokehold the media giants are now exercising over our very culture

we all agreed to the rules when we signed up,
specifically regarding the abstention of discussing illegal activity
(regardless of our personal opinions of those laws)
one more "implied" illegal use or direct as the example above
and this thread is locked ;)

Thanx for understanding
Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 to1 copies are possible and as described (if the media size matches :p )
its just not typical either build your own or assembled
http://www.caloptic.com/copiercontrol.html
http://www.caloptic.com/dvddup1.html

Back