TS and multiple Sessions per Client problem

turb0

Gawd
I have a Win 2k3 Server with TS on it for our medical dictation software.

Here's the problem:

I have 10 Win machine RDC'ing into the Server to access the program. However throughout the week, I'll start to get multiple sessions per each client...

ie: Nursestation 1 (session1)
Nursestation 1 (session 5)
Nursestation 1 (session 8)

Only one session is actually real, the others did not clean themselves up due connection time outs and the printers start to pile up. Once the printers pile up, most of the nurses start complaining about not printing properly....

ie. Nursestation 1 (session 5)
Nursestation 2 (session 5)
both have issues printering to main nurse printer...etc etc....

I know these sessions are timing out, but these machines are used all day at varying times... input patient data, call patient back, go into exam room with another terminal, work patient in room, finish patient, rinse and repeat!

I'll try to post a screen shot when the printers get to be a nightmare, but I'm just trying to get a grasp on why I can't keep one session open all day even with the timing set to 10 hours. I recently rebooted the server, so the printers are better now.

Last thing, the only way to truly cure the situation is to reboot the server to clear everything.....

Thanks for any input.

-g-

Teach end users how to properly "close out" of their sessions when they're done...close programs, "log off"....instead of clicking the "X" which really just locks workstation.

You don't have to "reboot" to clear the multiple stale sessions...in terminal services manager you can see the sessions listed...right click and "Force Close" their connections.

Teach end users how to properly "close out" of their sessions when they're done...close programs, "log off"....instead of clicking the "X" which really just locks workstation.

You don't have to "reboot" to clear the multiple stale sessions...in terminal services manager you can see the sessions listed...right click and "Force Close" their connections.

along with this, I believe you can also configure a timeout period where after x minutes of inactivity the session is automatically terminated/ended/closed

You can also enforce a single logon per user in the Terminal Services config at the server.

This is what I do for my TS users to prevent confusion:

Single login per user <-- This alone would prevent your scenario.
End disconnected session after 60 min
60 minute Idle time then the session is terminated

I thought I had all my bases covered with the single session stuff before hand. Here's a screen shot of the server settings.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

serversettings.jpg

These nurses are impossible to get through to and it's not the session that I'm worried about, its the printers that remain active after the sessions die. I can't delete them and the only way to clear them that I've found is to reboot...... and i hate to reboot!

i think i see where some of my Users are set up differently in respect to time outs.

I'm going to play with that and see how it goes. Thanks for the input!!!

Do you have to provide access to local printers? If not, then just disable printer mapping and enforce network printer usage.

Back