Trying to connect Switch to Router but no luck :(

TSWG00

Weaksauce
I'm trying to connect my linksys 4 port router to my linksys 16 port switch. I had it working along time ago but then I moved out. I'm back now and want to try and get the switch back up and running. I read the user info and linksys said to do

EZXS16W only:
The 10/100 16-Port Switch is equipped with a crossover button (labeled
MDI/MDIX) that enables port 16 to be used as the switch’s uplink port. To
utilize the port’s uplink capability, the MDI/MDIX button must be depressed.
If the button is not depressed, port 16 will function as a normal 10/100 port. so I did that, but still no luck.

When I plug the switch port 16/uplink to the port 4 on my router the all 3 lights light up. But I'm unable to show a network connectiong when I plug the computer to port 1 on the switch even though it shows activitiy.

So at this point I have no clue what I'm doing wrong lol. I have ot connected up to the router port 4 right now. I hope some one can help me out :-D

Maybe you can just use a crossover cable and connect the 10/100 ports between the router and switch like normal.

Just a suggestion from a newbie.

well it says that I shouldn't need to make a cross over cable, and last time I had the switch connected up to the router I didn't do that. But it was so long ago I don't remember how I connected them up lol

Basicly, if you are using a crossover to connect to the routers internal switch, don't depress the switch, if your using a patch cable, depress the switch. That switch simply swaps the wire pairs for TX and RX, so that you can use a normal patch cable, and use it as a crossover.

Try it in a different port on the router? Maybe port 4 is hosed?

Do you know if it's a good switch? Plug 2x computers into the switch (with the same IP range) and see if they can ping each other?

ok heres a diagram

Computer
|
| Regular cable from port 2-16 connecting to computer
|
switch
|
|
| <crossover cable connecting to port 1 on switch
|
|
router
|
| plugged in wan modem or whatever port is port 1 of your router
whatever else

Well this is what my friend said to do

Are you going from one of your ports on your router to your switch? if you're using an uplink port and a crossover cable you might need to use a regular cable, that's usually what happens is you get a couple crossovers and it ends up switching things back and you're data out lines are connected to each other and your data in lines are connected...

Long story short, unplug from your uplink port and plug into your regular port and I bet it'll work :)

the uplink ports on both the router and my switch automaticlly change so you don't have to use a cross over cable.

the last time I used the switch was about 1-2 years ago so I don't know if it works. All the lights light up for both the cable going to the router and the cable going to the PC so I would assume everything is working lol.

Troubleshooting is process of elimination much of the time. Eliminate the possibilities. If the cable from the router works when it goes directly to the PC in that diagram then you know, or can reasonably assume, both the cable and the NIC are in working order. That leaves the switch. Try both positions on the MDI/MDX switch. Still no go, you might have to put another PC on that switch. Plug the existing PC and the additional one into regular ports on the switch, assign IP's on the same subnet and start pinging. If those ports are working then the uplink port is likely bad. No biggie, other than you will now need a X-over cable from the routers switch to the troubled switch, and you'd use a regular port.

Well the funny thing is I had this switch working about a year or so ago and it worked fine. I just don't remember how I connected it. I'm going to try the stuff you said. Right now I have the patch cable running from the Router's Uplink to the Switches port 1. So I will see what happens.

Ok so when I plug my laptop in using the cable that is going from the router's uplink to the switche my computer connects just fine. When I pluged the cable back into the switch and pluged the laptop into port 3. I get the error saying limited or no connectivity. When I ping my IP it says Destination host unreachable. I pinged my own computer that is connected to the switch and it says Request times out. I pinged the other computer that is connected to the swtich and it says the same thing request timed out.

Also when the laptop is connected to the swtich. I do a Ipconfig /release then a /renew when doing the renew it says "An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connecton : unable to connect your DHCP server. Request timed out.

So at this point I don't know what is wrong. I know the cable runing from the routers uplink port works becaue I connected. So what I don't understand is why that cable does not work when it is pluged into port 1 or anyother port on the switch. I even had 2 computers on the switch so I'm lost right now lol.

Do I need to change something in the settings or something in the tcp/ip? I did this all before and the swtich worked about 1-2 years ago but I don't remember how exactly I connected the switch to the router.

Thanks for the help.

Well I think I might have narrowed it down a little bit. I changed the IP number and setting in the TCP/IP to 192.168.1.200 and changed the default gayway to 192.168.1.1 so far it removed the limited connection and I'm able to see 1 of the 3 computers on the network. But I'm not able to connect to it. I don't know why when the tcp/ip setting are set to automatic it does not work. All the other computers that are connected right into the router are. And I don't remember playing with the setting before when I had the switch connected to the router. This is becoming a big pain in the ass. I don't remember it taking this long to get things working. grrrrr......

Maybe you and i had the same problem. The lights at my switch and the backs of the PC's, (heck even windows agrees), says there are PC's connected to my computer but all my pings time out. The problem with mine was the wiring (that shitz got me stumped for two days!). Are you sure all your cables followed the standard color codes?

Yeah, just basic newbie stuff, but i am one. So easy with the sarcasm guys :p

no crossover cables nor uplinks should be used. Uplinks are for connecting switches together with a straight through cable. Crossover cable can be used if switches don't have an uplink port.

that said you only need straight through cables. plug all computers and router into switch. (no uplinks needed).

they should all show connected in windows (you dont see an X by the adapter).

you will see limited or no connectivity when the adapters fail to get an ip address from a dhcp server. either turn on the dhcp server on the router, or manually assign addresses.

your linksys router should hand out addresses new out of the box. You can reset it to factory defaults by pulling power>>hold reset button>>plug in power>> continue to hold for 30 secs.

after that it should be back to factory defaults and handing out ips. Your computers will then pickup ip addresses(if they are set to automatic configuration), and all showing connected.

again forget the crossover cables, uplink ports. You dont need them. use only straight through patch cables.

Sly said:
Maybe you and i had the same problem. The lights at my switch and the backs of the PC's, (heck even windows agrees), says there are PC's connected to my computer but all my pings time out. The problem with mine was the wiring (that shitz got me stumped for two days!). Are you sure all your cables followed the standard color codes?

Yeah, just basic newbie stuff, but i am one. So easy with the sarcasm guys :p

yeah all are orange white, orange, green white, blue, blue white, green, brown white, brown.

I know the cables worked about 2 years ago and, I remember it took me a while to get things worked out because I didn't realize my swtich and router had and auto port the does a crossover so I made a able that was a cross over cable. Although last time I was on DSL this time I'm on a cable modem. Not that, that should make any difference.

The onlything I can think of it TCP/IP settings. Because when I changed the IP address to the routers IP address I was able to see 1 of my computers.

And to think I want to go into this industry boy I might have second thoughts LOL.

UnrealRage said:
no crossover cables nor uplinks should be used. Uplinks are for connecting switches together with a straight through cable. Crossover cable can be used if switches don't have an uplink port.

that said you only need straight through cables. plug all computers and router into switch. (no uplinks needed).

they should all show connected in windows (you dont see an X by the adapter).

you will see limited or no connectivity when the adapters fail to get an ip address from a dhcp server. either turn on the dhcp server on the router, or manually assign addresses.

your linksys router should hand out addresses new out of the box. You can reset it to factory defaults by pulling power>>hold reset button>>plug in power>> continue to hold for 30 secs.

after that it should be back to factory defaults and handing out ips. Your computers will then pickup ip addresses(if they are set to automatic configuration), and all showing connected.

again forget the crossover cables, uplink ports. You dont need them. use only straight through patch cables.

I didn't think that I pluged it in last time to the uplink port it was either port 4 or something like that. I will try that, Right now I have it set up to uplink from the router to the swtich's port 16. I'll plug it into port 4 on the router and then see what happens. I already kinda figured something with the DHCP was not working when I did a IPCONFIG /renew and it said could not get any info from DHCP server.

So I tried again and its not getting any info from the DHCP. Does not show my Default Gateway. Tomorrow I will try the router reset, but why would I need to do that when last time I never had to reset my router?

This is what the Linksys Manual said to do. I was just told not do use the Uplink port on the router to connect to a non uplink port on the switch. All I know is No matter what I do I can't connect. I did an IPCONFIG /ALL and it just gives me a IP address and submask and that is it. I'm about to give up right now.

If the Router’s LAN ports are all full and you still have PCs and/or devices to
connect, connect a hub or a switch to the Router using an Ethernet cable.
To do so, use the Router’s Uplink port to connect to a standard port on a hub
or switch. This leaves you with new, open ports on the hub or switch, to which
you can add more PCs and/or network devices.
If you have a PC/device connected to the port right next to the Uplink port (on
the 3- and 4-Port Routers), disconnect that PC/device and plug it into an open
port on the new hub or switch.
Since the Uplink port shares internal wiring with the port right next to it, you
can only use one of these two ports at a time; these ports are called shared
ports.
If your new hub or switch also has an Uplink port, it too can be uplinked when
you run out of ports, and so on.

Well I was looking through linksys's help pages and found someone asking this question

Question

Which ports should I use to hook a hub/switch to the router?

Answer

Connect a straight through CAT 5 Ethernet cable from a numbered port on the router to the uplink port on the hub or switch. However most Hubs/Switches uplink ports are shared with the port next to the uplink. This means that you can not use the uplink port and the port next to the uplink at the same time, you must use either or. If you are unsure if your hub or switch as a shared up link port, please consult the hub/switches documentation.

I don't remember needing to use a streight through design patch cable when I hooked up my router to my swtich the first time. I'm wondering if that's the problem now. I'm using the same cables I used the last time, the only difference is I don't remember how I hooked it up the last time lol. This is really starting to become annoying.

So, I did what linksys told me to do I have a normal patch cable in the uplink of my router and it is pluged into the 15th port of my swtich. I'm still unable to get the DHCP for the other comptuer that is pluged into the 2nd port of the swtich. So I have no clue what to do now. I'm at a loss. All my lights are showing up on both the router and swtich. So I know the cable is good. I pluged in the cable that is running from the uplink of the router into my laptop and I connect just fine to the DHCP and what not so something along the line isn't configured correct.

Can anyone help me out?

Well I'm puzzled I connected the patch 5 from port 1 of the router to port 15 on the swtich and I get no lights. But yet if I move it over to port 16/uplink on the swtich I get all 3 lights. If I move it back to port 15 on the swtich again no lights. So I moved from port 1 on the router to the uplink port and I get lights again. :confused:

So what am I doing wrong here? This is getting to become a pain in the ass :mad:

Back