Trouble with a TF2 dedicated server.

veterator

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently installed pfsense, and it's a generally default install. I played with a couple package installs and removed them, so there's the possibility of some lingering effects there that I didn't notice.

I used to have my dedicated TF2 server I'd use occasionally that worked fine with some port forwards on my old Dlink DGL4300.

Now with pfsense Im just getting around to trying to get one going for the halloween events going on in TF2 for the next couple weeks, and Im having absolutely no luck.

I found a number of threads discussing it and most stopped asking for help at specific steps which I took to mean they got it working.

First they port forwarded 27015 to the machine with the server on it, and then they created an outbound static port 27015 rule and most agreed it worked.

However, I can't get my server to see the master server...it doesn't say that it's connected to the master server. The information put in the console window on loading is not the same as all the reports of a properly working server, BUT I can see it and get onto it in the lan. So it's functional, just not getting out to the net.

When I try to access it by the outside address I get no response. It doesn't show up on the master list after hours of running. I just can't tell what the issue is due to my lack of knowledge on how to get around in pfsense and generally not running the server often enough to notice if this problem was there prior to the pfsense install or not. I want to say the server worked fine before pfsense, but I can't 100% guarantee that.

So, I am hoping someone out there has some knowledge on getting this straightened out...I've exhausted anything I can think of for search criteria to get the answers to the problem Im having.

Oh, and I did clear the states of the pfsense which was another thing people were suggesting to do...it had no effect on getting the server reporting to the master servers or accessing it via the outside address.

Obviously some kind of filtering is taking place, I just don't know what to look at for solutions.

Thanks.

I recently installed pfsense, and it's a generally default install. I played with a couple package installs and removed them, so there's the possibility of some lingering effects there that I didn't notice.

I used to have my dedicated TF2 server I'd use occasionally that worked fine with some port forwards on my old Dlink DGL4300.

Now with pfsense Im just getting around to trying to get one going for the halloween events going on in TF2 for the next couple weeks, and Im having absolutely no luck.

I found a number of threads discussing it and most stopped asking for help at specific steps which I took to mean they got it working.

First they port forwarded 27015 to the machine with the server on it, and then they created an outbound static port 27015 rule and most agreed it worked.

However, I can't get my server to see the master server...it doesn't say that it's connected to the master server. The information put in the console window on loading is not the same as all the reports of a properly working server, BUT I can see it and get onto it in the lan. So it's functional, just not getting out to the net.

When I try to access it by the outside address I get no response. It doesn't show up on the master list after hours of running. I just can't tell what the issue is due to my lack of knowledge on how to get around in pfsense and generally not running the server often enough to notice if this problem was there prior to the pfsense install or not. I want to say the server worked fine before pfsense, but I can't 100% guarantee that.

So, I am hoping someone out there has some knowledge on getting this straightened out...I've exhausted anything I can think of for search criteria to get the answers to the problem Im having.

Oh, and I did clear the states of the pfsense which was another thing people were suggesting to do...it had no effect on getting the server reporting to the master servers or accessing it via the outside address.

Obviously some kind of filtering is taking place, I just don't know what to look at for solutions.

Thanks.

Does your console at least say this:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6031/cmd4.jpg

Adding the master servers?

As you can see theres another port its using.

Look at the sv_region in your server.cfg and make sure the value is the correct value. 0 - east coast 1 - west coast

Is this server on your LAN? Does it show up in the LAN tab?

Do you have your pfsense configured to accept ICMP on the WAN? Meaning can you ping it? If you cannot ping your WAN... especially form inside your LAN, that could cause problems not showing in the server list for obvious reasons. It may make your server appear very late when you refresh and may show a ping of 999

Run a wireshark on the server and filter by the IP's of the master servers.

I'm pretty sur eyou can add +connect <serverip> to your server's startup shortcut to manually add a master server.

Post your server.cfg file.

Also when you say that you try to access it from the outside do you mean actually trying to connec to it in game from the internet?

can you open up the console in game with the ~ and manually type the connection command?

connect <ipaddress>:<port>

Unless you have enabled NAT Redirection or "loopback" it won't work on your LAN if you are trying to access the external address.

Try to enable UPnP service on the pfSense box.

I tried turning this on, I'll post a screenshot of this screen later to see if I overlooked something.

UPnPPage.jpg

Does your console at least say this:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6031/cmd4.jpg

Adding the master servers?

As you can see theres another port its using.

Look at the sv_region in your server.cfg and make sure the value is the correct value. 0 - east coast 1 - west coast

Is this server on your LAN? Does it show up in the LAN tab?

Do you have your pfsense configured to accept ICMP on the WAN? Meaning can you ping it? If you cannot ping your WAN... especially form inside your LAN, that could cause problems not showing in the server list for obvious reasons. It may make your server appear very late when you refresh and may show a ping of 999

Run a wireshark on the server and filter by the IP's of the master servers.

I'm pretty sur eyou can add +connect <serverip> to your server's startup shortcut to manually add a master server.

Post your server.cfg file.

It does not say adding master servers, I had a couple attempts at adding master servers manually but everywhere around the net people said that's not a good idea and it never worked anyway. There is a possibility it is in the server config. I will post the server config up when I post up some screen shots later.

// The name of your server shown in the server browser
hostname "Gift Collection Server"
// Server e-mail contact
// Password used for remote console access
rcon_password "Blank"
// If you are having trouble connecting with rcon try enabling the rcon_address line.
// Also make sure your ports are forwarded (tcp: 27000-27020)
// rcon_address "your_ip_address"
// 1 for private LAN, 0 for internet play
sv_cheats 1
sv_lan 0
// Region that the server is located in
// U.S. East - sv_region 0
// U.S. West - sv_region 1
// South America - sv_region 2
// Europe - sv_region 3
// Asia - sv_region 4
// Australia - sv_region 5
// Middle East - sv_region 6
// Africa - sv_region 7
// Rest of the World - sv_region 255
sv_region 0
// Network settings
sv_mincmdrate 30
sv_minupdaterate 20
sv_maxcmdrate 100
sv_maxupdaterate 100
sv_maxrate 100000
sv_minrate 1000
//sv_unlag 1 Unknown Command
// Enforces fair and optimal settings
sv_client_predict 1
sv_client_interpolate 1
sv_client_min_interp_ratio 1.0
sv_client_max_interp_ratio 2.0
sv_client_cmdrate_difference 30
// External download server
// sv_downloadurl "http://yoursite.com/cstrike"
// Max download size of 100 MB
net_maxfilesize 5
// mp_capstyle (Sets the style of capture points used. 0 = Fixed players required to cap. 1 = More players cap faster, but longer cap times)
// mp_respawnwavetime (Time between respawn waves)
// mp_capdeteriorate_time 90.0 (Time it takes for a full capture point to deteriorate)
// mp_teams_unbalance_limit (Teams are unbalanced when one team has this many more players than the other team. (0 disables check))
// mp_bonusroundtime (Time after round win until round restarts)
// mp_winlimit (Max number of rounds one team can win before server changes maps)
// mp_stalemate_timelimit (Timelimit (in seconds) of the stalemate round.)
// mp_switchteams (Switch teams and restart the game)
// mp_scrambleteams (Scramble the teams and restart the game)
// mp_forcerespawnplayers (Force all players to respawn.)
// mp_disable_respawn_times (Disable respawn timer)
// mp_timelimit (Set timelimit for map)
// mp_maxrounds (Set number of rounds before reset. Mutually exclusive with mp_timelimit. So if this is enabled disable the mp_timelimit)
// mp_tournament (Enable or Disable tournament mode)
// tf_weapon_criticals (Enable or disable weapon crits)
// tf_flag_caps_per_round (Number of flag caps before round ends)
sv_pure 2
setpause 0
sv_pausable 0
sv_consistency 1
mp_teams_unbalance_limit 0
mp_forcerespawnplayers 1
mp_timelimit 9999
mp_disable_respawn_times 1
mp_idledealmethod 0
mp_timelimit 60
sv_voiceenable 0
sv_cheats 0
log on
sv_log_onefile 0
sv_logfile 1
sv_logbans 1
sv_logecho 0
setmaster add 72.165.61.158:27015
setmaster add 216.207.205.98:27011
setmaster add 216.207.205.99:27011
setmaster add 68.142.72.250:27010
setmaster add 72.165.61.136:27010
setmaster add 69.28.151.162:27010
setmaster add 72.165.61.153:27015
setmaster add 72.165.61.189:27010
heartbeat

This is what it says in the last bit when I run it using this config file.

SteamDedServer.jpg

It shows up on the LAN tab, I can connect to it via that when it's running.

I don't know about ICMP on WAN, I'll try to find it. This is probably the best suggestion at the moment, however I can't connect to it by going to favorites and adding a serverip+port...which may be related to someone else's reply below.

Don't know what a wireshark is, I'll look that up.

Still have to look into wireshark.

Also when you say that you try to access it from the outside do you mean actually trying to connec to it in game from the internet?

can you open up the console in game with the ~ and manually type the connection command?

connect <ipaddress>:<port>

I try to connect to it from behind the pfsense firewall by going to my public IP in the manner you have suggested with ip+port. No luck at all with that, and it may be related to the post below.

Unless you have enabled NAT Redirection or "loopback" it won't work on your LAN if you are trying to access the external address.

I will have to check......I think given that the server doesn't properly report getting to the master servers that it's not actually making a connection properly. But this could explain why I can't connect to it via the outside address.

I have a number of things to turn back on, screenshot, and add into this post it'll probably be awhile until I get all that into the post but hopefully it'll all be in here by noon.

Here's the rest of the screenshots showing ICMP Ping, NAT rules for static outbound and Port Forward Rules:

FirewallRules.jpg

NatOutbound.png

NATPortforward.jpg

As you can see I have some rules disabled...even with them enabled it still wouldn't work. Just going to wait on some feedback from everyone.

Last edited:
And I updated previous post with screenshots. I thought that my srcds files were corrupted so I ran the update with verify on..it came up with nothing.

I deleted a couple files and it replaced them, complained about LAN only mode...updated it again and that warning went away when I launched server, but still wouldn't add master servers.

For some reason, the "setmaster" command is not recognized by my dedicated server. I don't know if they removed it in a really new update or if something is wrong with mine or my usage/spelling of it.

I can see a few things wrong. Mainly trying to access it from your LAN using your wan address. I'm on my phone and can't type out a super long reply. But with that information someone may be able to add on to this till I get home and to a PC to type out a proper reply.

Turn off the firewall completely and access it using its LAN address first. Take out all variables first that may be causing issues.

Well I found a way to check to see if the server is reporting outside of the network. There is a game server list website you can look them up on.

So I left it running for a number of hours and saw one person connect.

It still doesn't explain why setmaster doesn't work or why it doesn't put out information that it has connected to the master like other people's server report.

Beyond that I can connect to it via Lan.

If there are things that need to be changed in the above information I have provided to make it more "proper" or something that's excessive please let me know. It seems to be working, but there's just some unexplained things with it that don't make sense. I still can't be completely sure that it's reporting to the master server........I'll see if I can enlist someone's aid on the friends list to check if it's showing up for them.

Back