Trouble Authenticating To Wirless Router

silentnswift

Limp Gawd
I have a router that I set up with WEP and I block all MAC addresses except for my wireless adapter. I did ipconfig/all on the computer with the Wireless Adapter, and copied the MAC adress into the Access List so I can connect. I set up my router with the 128bit Passphrase, and try to connect, and normally it works. However, randomly after I restart the computer, I will fail to Authenticate. I made sure I typed the passphrase right, and when I switch from infrastructure to 802.11 Ad-Hoc (I have no idea what that is) I can connect. But when I go to infrastucture, which is the only way to use the internet, I can never authenticate. Can anyone help?

silentnswift said:
I have a router that I set up with WEP and I block all MAC addresses except for my wireless adapter. I did ipconfig/all on the computer with the Wireless Adapter, and copied the MAC adress into the Access List so I can connect. I set up my router with the 128bit Passphrase, and try to connect, and normally it works. However, randomly after I restart the computer, I will fail to Authenticate. I made sure I typed the passphrase right, and when I switch from infrastructure to 802.11 Ad-Hoc (I have no idea what that is) I can connect. But when I go to infrastucture, which is the only way to use the internet, I can never authenticate. Can anyone help?
Ad-hoc is when you connect to a pear w/o an ap or a router... so its like a point to point connection... when you are connecting ad hoc you are pretty much just connecting to yourself and not the router/ap.... what might solve your problem is eliminating the access list... access list arent nearly as secure for wireless as the wep encyption.. and since you are using wep you should not need the acl... just dont give out your passwork and you can hide your ssid if you please....

I would definately hide the ssid broadcast. then change the name of your router to something other than the default.

like the other poster said too...you can dump the acl if you're using wep, since wep's more secure anyway. and once you stop the ssid broadcast, you shouldn't have near the worries of someone hijacking your wireless network.

Ok, Im removing the MAC acess list, and my SSID broadcast is already hidden. Its weird though because when I start my Netgear Configuration tool, it picks up like 3 neighbors.

Ok sry bout the double post, but disabling the MAC Access list worked! Thanks! O by the way, any reason why the Access List would not work? I did the ipconfig/all and it was the same MAC Address for the Netgear Adapter and the one listed in the Access List. Just wanted to know because this is technically my dads network, and I dont feel like changing too many things before he discovers I know his router password(which is the same as everything else) .

silentnswift said:
any reason why the Access List would not work? I did the ipconfig/all and it was the same MAC Address for the Netgear Adapter and the one listed in the Access List.

Do you have a wired network card as well (did you enter the right MAC)?
Did you double check the accurateness of the entry (0 vs O)?

As to getting rid of the MAC listing, WEP might be more secure but it has it's flaws. The goal is layers of security and since MAC address filtering doesn't take any excess payload there is very little reason not to employ it.

Lastly, ask your dad about moving from WEP to WPA. WPA is much more secure than WEP.

Back