Trouble after moving to a lan.

topslop1

2[H]4U
I brought my computer to a lan and was very gentle with it. After setting everything up and turning it on it said Disk error insert system disk. I thought what the hell is this? I played around with the cables, power, reset my bios, swapped slave and master and had no luck after everything. I even tried a copy of Windows XP setup and it didn't detect it in the setup. I was just watching everything for a few hours and then I thought what the hell I'll try it again for kicks. I boot up and it detects but windows xp doesnt load up. So I drove home - only a 20 minute drive. I got windows xp, sp1, and driver installation cds and drove back. In under an hour I had my computer up and running with some counter-strike 1.6. The lan started at 8 and I had the computer up at 4. Played until 9 in the morning. At least I got my 5 hours of time in. Anyways my question is.. what in the hell happened? Why did my harddrive quit on me and then work after but require a format and xp install? It was one of the strangest things I have encountered.

Your harddrive may be telling you it's dying. Be prepared for a hd pruchase soon, or an rma if still under warranty.

Originally posted by MontyAC
Your harddrive may be telling you it's dying. Be prepared for a hd pruchase soon, or an rma if still under warranty.

Other indications would be loud clicking from the drive, and errors in Windows. Use Maxtor's drive utilities to check the drive and verify that it is working properly.

Could've taken a beating en route to your home during shipping

My dad picked it up from a store but it could have taken a beating to the store. I've never had luck with harddrives. My 40 gig WD died on me. My 60 gig maxtor died on me. And now this is "dying" or something or the like. Next harddrive that I get will be a Seagate or Samsung or Western Digital.

Originally posted by topslop1
My dad picked it up from a store but it could have taken a beating to the store. I've never had luck with harddrives. My 40 gig WD died on me. My 60 gig maxtor died on me. And now this is "dying" or something or the like. Next harddrive that I get will be a Seagate or Samsung or Western Digital.

Even if thye have good deals at a store, I wouldn't buy there. I know how they handel merch at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. I worked there. The warehouse guys would drop TV's on things, stupid shit like that.

Even if thye have good deals at a store, I wouldn't buy there. I know how they handel merch at stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. I worked there. The warehouse guys would drop TV's on things, stupid shit like that.

But don't UPS/Fedex guys do somewhat of the same thing?

But don't UPS/Fedex guys do somewhat of the same thing?

How do you think that the drives get to the store? They use a service just like FedEx ground or UPS.

Use Maxtor's drive utilities to check the drive and verify that it is working properly.

No clicking or anything else, runs fine. What ultility? I checked out max blast 3 but that's not a diagnotic program that's just for formatting / data transfer.

No clicking or anything else, runs fine. What ultility? I checked out max blast 3 but that's not a diagnotic program that's just for formatting / data transfer.

Not farmiliar with that program, but if it's a diagnostic, then it should tell you if there is anything with the drive. I'm think of WD DIAG for WD drives, not sure if there is anything out like that from Maxtor.

Back