triple booting system, help help help !!

cv65user

Limp Gawd
am going to put the operating system on my aspire one 120gb , xp will my main OS with programs installed. and other OS will be used so i can familarise mytself with them

i am thinking in this order for my 120gb
1 ntfs 20gb xp pro
2 ext 5gb openseus
3 hts 15gb leapord but leapord uses 9gb am i right?
4 a 80gb data partition rest as fat32 data for compatibility

i wont be using linux/leapord extensively to install apps , but mainly as OS just to play about with . so trying to minimuse disk space but my main OS will be XP ; so i have some questions

1 = i still want to be able to write 4gb + data files , so am i better off using xp partition as ntfs or fat32 or use the data partition as ntfs but then linux/leapord cannot access it without kernal add on so i am in chkicken egg situ here. i think i will go for ntfs so i can still at least play with 4gb+ files and leave the data partition as fat32 for overall normal docuement data

2 opensu or ubuntu better? in terms of functionalily not just gui. i can program c++ , c , java so pretty competent using an OS if complex but neither do i want it DOS based. after researching the internet i will be going with openseus with kde as ubuntu i can still run off the cd

3 what order of OS do i install to get it tripe/dual boot - i am presuming xp , openseus and then leapord

4 what program do i use to fdisk , create the partitions ? - google shows each OS will recongise an exisiting OS is present and will allow new menu options for extra OSs ?

5 what program do i use to create the boot menu options for the different OS ? - again google shows that each OS will accomodate the menus

6 after all this hard work , i want to image this a bootable recovery CD. i am thinking to ghost it , but will ghost recnognise ext and hfs file system ,

and then once i get the GHO image , how do i get ghost to auto run this GHO file when booted from a DVD ? - i know how to make win98 boot disk on a CD , so i am presuming to stick GHOST.EXE on to it and the image file seperately . but i want to make it all more stream lined so how would i get GHOST to auto recognise to image the original image back over but with obviously a prompt of some sort

6 after all this hard work , i want to image this a bootable recovery CD. i am thinking to ghost it , but will ghost recnognise ext and hfs file system ,

and then once i get the GHO image , how do i get ghost to auto run this GHO file when booted from a DVD ? - i know how to make win98 boot disk on a CD , so i am presuming to stick GHOST.EXE on to it and the image file seperately . but i want to make it all more stream lined so how would i get GHOST to auto recognise to image the original image back over but with obviously a prompt of some sort

i understand ghost doesnt recogfnise hfs, but will copy the raw data , so if i make a 15gb partition then it will make a 15gb + image !! , so will need to use clonezilla ? http://clonezilla.org/ but it seems to use the same method

it seems that it doesnt compress , if i clone whole hdd , i obviosuly dont want 120gb image file ?!?! :S

Simplify and use VMs. One OS to back up, and then you can simply back up the VM files. When I do something to utterly trash my Ubuntu VM, all I have to do is copy down a file from my server, and I'm back up and running again.

You also need to be careful about mentioning OSX running on a PC. Those threads often end up locked.

As for Ghosting, all you have to do is use an external USB drive and BartPE. You can send the Ghost image file to the external drive, and pull it back if you need to restore. You can keep the VM files on the external drive as well.

i prefer hard copy on cd/dvd , as its aspire one , small note book , so i am always on the go so if the laptop software did go down ,. i wouldbnt be at home to pull it back off my network

Then you'd simply make a bootable DVD, that loads CD drivers, like a Win98 floppy image would. Then you stick your ghost.exe file and the ghost image file on disc.

ok pls can you tell me how to split the image file into lets say per 1gb after ghosts make it , or is there an option in ghost itself to do this

There's an option in the ghost.exe file and the Ghost32.exe file, depending on which one you use, to split the images to a pre-determined size.

ok thx . now back to the other main qs . what is your best method ideas or tip to install a triple boot system . in what order ?

Back