Trial Vista Media Center

goldy

[H]ard|Gawd
Can I download a trial of MS Vista Home Premium or Ultimate? I want to try out Vista Media Center, any online sources to get a legit trial? Please do not post illegal alternatives..

No download available (not legitimate, anyways) but if you know somebody who has Vista and a Vista installation disk you can legitimately use it to install a trial install (you do that by installing without entering the key code and choosing which version you want to install) and then use it unlicensed for a 30 day trial period.

No download available (not legitimate, anyways) but if you know somebody who has Vista and a Vista installation disk you can legitimately use it to install a trial install (you do that by installing without entering the key code and choosing which version you want to install) and then use it unlicensed for a 30 day trial period.

Hmm, I know Microsoft has the Vista Downloads on the MS site with embedded service packs, think that would work?

Edit: nm only for MSDN subscribers

to get those downloads you need to have that paid MSDN subscription thing I believe...

Wait, I have a Vista Business DVD (legit one) I can install Home Premium or Ultimate from the DVD? or am I understanding something wrong.

Shame on you, you know better. ;) Vista does not have a trial edition, it never did, it never will. The 30 day "grace period" is not a trial, per se, in the colloquial sense of using it till the timer runs out to check it out. The grace period is designed for legitimate owners - not just someone that casually acquired a copy someplace, even a friend - to work out the kinks and make sure their hardware is fully supported by the drivers from manufacturers...

I mean really.

I have a legit copy of Vista Business DVD, meaning I am a legitimate owner of Vista.. I did not acquire a copy "someplace". Can I install a Home Premium or Ultimate from my Business DVD to check out Media Center?

Edit: NM, did not read carefully ;-x

I have a legit copy of Vista Business DVD, meaning I am a legitimate owner of Vista.. I did not acquire a copy "someplace". Can I install a Home Premium or Ultimate from my Business DVD to check out Media Center?

Edit: NM, did not read carefully ;-x

Yes, like Catweazle said in the second post, just install without the key and choose Ultimate during the install. You can use it for 30 days. After that you either buy a license or it stops working.

Shame on you, you know better. ;) Vista does not have a trial edition, it never did, it never will. The 30 day "grace period" is not a trial, per se, in the colloquial sense of using it till the timer runs out to check it out. The grace period is designed for legitimate owners - not just someone that casually acquired a copy someplace, even a friend - to work out the kinks and make sure their hardware is fully supported by the drivers from manufacturers...

I mean really.

rah, rah, rah, blah, blah, blah!

Don't mince and dance about the point with diversions and misleadings. What we are talking about here is included and scantily documented functionality which is NOT a standard, normal installation procedure. The installer on Vista install disks includes and provides the capacity to put a limited period Windows install on a rig without assigning the license to a device! That's what we're talking about when we talk about a 'trial period' install run out without entering an install key code'. It's a 'have a look at it' thing, and a Vista install disk can be used to 'have a look at' any and every Vista version, for a limited period of time.

Look me in my brown eye(s) and tell me that you really, genuinely think that Microsoft would ever push this issue in the court system, or would win if they did!

What you're saying is, effectively, that Microsoft are saying:

"Oh yeah! We bunged in a thingy which lets you have a preview looksee, but we'll only let you have a looksee after you've already bought it!"

That's ridiculous, and indefensible. Hell even if you go to the EULA (which you love quoting), you see the following clause prominent under "Installation and use" restrictions:

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device

Guess what? Install without entering the key code and you're not yet trying to "use the software under a license". You're only having a bloody look at it!

GORANKAR, I think I was just posting up a 'realistic' response to the joshing/ribbing, for the benefit of people reading who might get a bit 'scared' after reading what Joe Average posted :D

The possibility/probability of a person being made to walk the plank for checking out a trial install of Vista is about zero!

Catweazle, I think he was just having fun with you.

SEE!!?!?! Nice to see someone around here gets it too. And yes, I said this in another thread also. :)

Damn Cat, I did put a ;) right there near the beginning of the post, good lord. Lay off the Foster's will ya. :D

Nub question, but is Vista MCE better than MCE 2005? Just wondering if they made enhancements or if it just runs better. I have some Hauppauge tuners that were a pain to get to work in MCE and was wondering if they work better in Vista MCE.

And if it's worth the switch, can you port your settings from MCE (ie. scheduled recordings, etc) to Vista MCE?

Thanks

Back