Tri-SLI / Trifire Question

Psistorm

n00b
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
18
I have a triple monitor setup waiting to be used, just need to choose the graphics cards.

3340x1920 resolution, same monitors as Vega (3x debezeled VG248QE's in portrait).

I have an AsRock X79 Extreme6 motherboard with a 3930k and an H100i. With no plans of going water cooling on the GPU's, I am still considering between three 780 lightnings or CF/Trifire 290x Lightnings when they come out. I am not particular to one brand or another, I like Nvidia a lot but these 290x's seem to be great performers at high resolutions and at a good price too. Power/heat/noise are the least of my worries. I just want a beast of a performer. My concerns with going tri-sli or trifire is that I would have to change my motherboard out. Can this motherboard I have support 3 cards? - and if it can, is it okay if they are close together? I would love to go with three 290x's. I'd like to [H]ear your guys thoughts on it.

Thanks!

Edit: Also curious, if I decide to go with three GPU's, and I don't change the motherboard out (which is what I would prefer), would it be wise to go with a different AIB than the lightning editions due to the blower-style coolers?
 
Last edited:
If you go the AMD, don't waste your money on 290x's. Get the 290's when they are back @ MSRP. Its hard to beat these cards @ that price. Now with either setup be prepared to deal with alot of heat and noise. My 2 290's generate a ton of heat. You can feel the room get much warmer. Wait for a custom AIB partner blower style cooler like the ones used by HIS. Blower style coolers are the better way to go in multi GPU setups .
 
Depends on the case you have. A large case with big fans can handle multi card setups with blower coolers. The lightnings are $450 right now on newegg with the MIR and the masterpass code, of course you would have to get a couple buddies to handle the other 2 rebates for you, 1 per household and all.

Your mobo does do 3 way SLI or Cfx, at PCI-E 3.0 16/16/8 so no worries there.
 
Eh, I still feel like I'd be better off going with a motherboard with triple card spacing to give them room to breathe.

I like the idea of the 290's. Thank you for the suggestions on that. I might actually go with three 290's. All depends on how the custom cooled cards end up OC'ing (290 vs 290x).

I wish I could keep the same motherboard as I have right now, but I feel like upgrading is a better idea if I'm going to put this much money into GPU's. Also, I need to upgrade my PSU and case as mine is very small (HAF 912). I'm thinking about going with either the HAF X or the Corsair 900D. Might as well do it all at once, this setup is going to last me quite some time and I want it to run good for the high resolution it'll be pushing.
 
Last edited:
If anyone has any suggestions on a good looking big case (full tower or even super tower) feel free to let me know. I'm like the Corsair 900D a lot. I'm a fan of the giant cases lol.
 
Last edited:
If anyone has any suggestions on a good looking big case (full tower or even super tower) feel free to let me know. I'm like the Corsair 900D a lot. I'm a fan of the giant cases lol.

Don't overlook the Rosewill Thor V2. Has a 200 mm intake fan right over the GPU's. Not as fancy as the 900D, but a really great case for the money.
 
Back
Top