Trendnet VPN vs Linksys VPN

0ldman

2[H]4U
Trendnet TW100-BRV204 vs Linksys RV042.

My customer has 1 main office and 4 remote. We are bringing the main office and two remotes on a VPN. I am familiar with Sonicwall, but I'm looking at cheaper alternatives.

How do these two routers compare? I've read some awesome reviews of the Trendnet, but a 10 VPN limit might be a problem in the near future.

Mostly just needs to be rock solid.

I can only comment on the Linksys side...I've installed a couple of dozen 082 and 016 models. I stayed away from the 042 model...1/2 the CPU, less RAM, and up until the very latest firmware...no support for a built in PPTP VPN server, only the IPSec client...Linksys QuickVPN, which, like many 3rd party IPSec VPN clients...can be touchy if not installed on a super squeekly clean machine with other IPSec software installed. I read someone had an issue with the newly added PPTP support of the 042, over at Linksysinfo, I'm not sure if it was on their setup abilities, or because it was a newly added feature on the 042 and needed a bit more maturity...since it was running on less RAM. I was told over a year ago by the regional Linksys rep they didn't plan on adding PPTP to the 042 due to insufficient RAM.

The built in PPTP VPN of the 082 and 016 models is rock solid..and the stability of them is very rock solid also. Very fast. No need to reboot them once a week or once a month...I have some out there that probably haven't been rebooted for a year...save for from a firmware upgrade.

Back