traffic shaping on a Cisco 2924 switch?

Zardoz

2[H]4U
Hey I have been looking around to see if I can do some traffic shaping on a Cisco 2924 switch. What I want to do is limit 30KB/s on a port, but leave the rest at full speed. anyone know if that can be done?

Thanks,

I'm a little rusty on those switches. Can't you just adjust the bandwidth statement on the port?

I don't believe you can do bandwidth shaping on them.

that sucks, you should get an Extreme Networks Summit switch. All their Layer 3 switches have full port throttling capability.

yeah ok brb let me get one from my basement.

brb

seriously, brb.:rolleyes: :D

I'm not totaly sure but I don't think you can. I think you would need a layer a 3 device to do this.

Ah, I thought you meant port as in physical interface, not TCP/UDP ports. Silly me.

Sorry the Cisco 2900 series switches do not support traffic shaping. You need a Cisco Layer3 switch.

Nope, no traffic shaping on the 2924. However, you can force a port to only run at 10mbit half duplex if you want. That will at least slow it down a bit...

Yeah from what it looks like, I do need a Layer 3 switch. I might have to look into getting one or something :D

Thanks for the replys,

do NOT buy that.

it is a slave switch that cannot be used as a standalone switch router.

Originally posted by Zardoz
Yeah from what it looks like, I do need a Layer 3 switch. I might have to look into getting one or something :D

Thanks for the replys,

What are your needs exactly. I hate to say it, but you might be able to get away with a inexpensive linux router doing the traffic shaping. I would love to see you get a L3 Cisco switch but the truth is even a used one on eBay will cost you more then the hardware for a badass linux server.

Originally posted by Anthony.L
What are your needs exactly. I hate to say it, but you might be able to get away with a inexpensive linux router doing the traffic shaping. I would love to see you get a L3 Cisco switch but the truth is even a used one on eBay will cost you more then the hardware for a badass linux server.

Basically I need to limit the speed on a given port (not tcp/udp ports) to only allow ~30KB/s. Just limit to total bandwidth on a given port. I have thought about doing a router box, but I might need to do this on more then just one port in the future (like on each port connected.) So I would think a layer 3 switch router might have more scalability and lower my total cost of owner ship in the long term.

Woah, 2 buzz words... :D

Originally posted by [H]exx
NEVER buy anything but Cisco when dealing with real-life situations :D

you obviously have never used any equipment other than cisco.

sad, really.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Anthony.L

This guy is trying to do simple LAN traffic shaping on a port by port basis. Not route traffic. Bad time to give linux a plug.

Foundary, Dell, and Extreme right off the top of my head. There are others as well.

You "obviously" don't know me. I've worked with 3com and BayNetworks equipment in the past. Along with Sonic Firewall (that doesn't really count though, it's like click and go).

Anyways, I'm just stating that I have faith (lots) in cisco equipment and have not had issues with it before (user-errors don't count).

What would you suggest for network equipment??? Linksys? HA (jk, that's part of my home network, along with some netgear and FBSD).

I'm with you, Cisco equipment just works, PERIOD!!!!

Although Sonic Walls are crap. Checkpoint all the way!!! :p

I have been doing a lot of reading today on this. It seems that traffic shaping is done most at the routing level, and in order to do this with a switch you need a layer 3 one (switch router or layer 3 switches.) traffic shaping can't be done on a layer 2 switch at all. That’s why with a *nix box you can do traffic shaping as it's a router.

Originally posted by Zardoz
I have been doing a lot of reading today on this. It seems that traffic shaping is done most at the routing level, and in order to do this with a switch you need a layer 3 one (switch router or layer 3 switches.) traffic shaping can't be done on a layer 2 switch at all. That’s why with a *nix box you can do traffic shaping as it's a router.

Yes, that is correct, traffic shaping is done at layer 3 and can be done with a layer 3 switch, router, or *nix box because it operates on all layers and has routing capabilities...

You "obviously" don't know me. I've worked with 3com and BayNetworks equipment in the past. Along with Sonic Firewall (that doesn't really count though, it's like click and go).

Anyways, I'm just stating that I have faith (lots) in cisco equipment and have not had issues with it before (user-errors don't count).

What would you suggest for network equipment??? Linksys? HA (jk, that's part of my home network, along with some netgear and FBSD).
3com? laff

baynetworks? uhhh nortel bought them how long ago?

sorry chief, i do level 3 network engineering.

build worldwide infrastructure

don't give me none of your 'cisco shit' because you've never used F5, extreme networks, foundary, nortel networks, or ANY fore/marconi ATM equipment.

in the past year i have implemented over 15 nortel networks passport 8600s and hundreds of baystack 460s.

dont try and 'lecture' me on a given vendor.

you obviously are a name whore who just likes screaming CISCO.

You have OBVIOUSLY never built any large scale worldwide infrastructures because anyone who HAD that experience wouldn't be talking out of their ass like that.

please :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh, and why is cisco so GREAT when they are the only company that when I call for outages or issues that EVERY TIME i will get a foriegn engineer that i cannot understand, and have to REQUEST him to get an engineer that I can understand.

cisco does have GREAT support and quality, but they are expensive as hell. I have no real issues with cisco but it's really sad when you cannot admit that another vendor can easily rival cisco in the enterprise and carrier class markets.

what types (ranges of eq) have you implemented? it's hard NOT to hvae much faith when you are running 1 cisco router and a few cisco switches....:p :p :p jk but im sure you get my idea.

what are you running? how much? what is your scaleable architecture?

Originally posted by []wave
what types (ranges of eq) have you implemented? it's hard NOT to hvae much faith when you are running 1 cisco router and a few cisco switches....:p :p :p jk but im sure you get my idea.

what are you running? how much? what is your scaleable architecture?

I personally like Cisco equipment above all others for the simple fact that it does what i need it to do with minimal fuss. Where I work (Global ISP) we use Cisco routers and Nortel Passport switches for Frame, ATM, and ATM IMA (these are for customer connections) with 100's of thousands of connections worldwide...

I have worked with many different vendor's and prefer Nortel's WAN equipment and Cisco's LAN equipment (including routers).

I think we've established that everyone here has a big dick, so let's just move on and help this guy out rather than just argue in his thread.

Originally posted by animeguru
I think we've established that everyone here has a big dick, so let's just move on and help this guy out rather than just argue in his thread.

I think we have already established that he does not currently have the equipment required to do what he wants to do and needs to make a purchase in order to accomplish it. There have also been several suggestions on which path to take; router, Layer 3 switch, or *nix box. The choice is now up to him. With that said, can we get back to arguing :p

Phuball, are you guys using the carrier class or enterprise class passports? im interested :)

We use the 6000 and 7000 series passports on the edge and the 15000 series passports in the core. Anything else you want to know?

Originally posted by animeguru

Thank you much!

Back